Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nate_c16
Novice
Liked: never

Database replications using AAP

Post by nate_c16 »

I've been doing quite a bit of looking but haven't quite found what I'm looking for. Or it could be that I didn't look hard enough.

Currently most of our databases are backed up using the MSSQL built-in backup. I recently moved a few of the DB servers into their own job and turned on application aware processing and enabled Veeam do the log truncation. I did disable the backup jobs on the servers so Veeam could do all of the backing up. I like the idea of Veeam doing everything for the database backup.

These databases that are backed up using only Veeam, are replicated as well and was curious about log truncation in the replication job. I enabled application aware processing using Copy Only, but wasn't getting the point in time restores like the backup has. I assume for that I'd have to enable the option to do log truncation with the job.

But if I enable that option is there going to be a conflict between the two jobs because both are doing log truncation? If there is a conflict, is it better to do log truncation with the replication? Our replication job runs every hour vs the backup which runs once a day but is constantly doing log backup every 15 min. Maybe it's better to have the job run more frequently? It would be ideal to keep it as close to real time as possible.

I haven't been in a situation (knock on wood) where I would have to failover a DB server or restore a DB server, but in the off chance, what is the best practice for backing up and replicating MSSQL servers using Veeam and application aware processing?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Database replications using AAP

Post by foggy »

Replication jobs do not provide logs backup functionality. To get the most of the point-in-time restores and minimize the RPO, you need to set up logs backup in the backup job (like you currently have, every 15 minutes, for example) and configure replication with the copy only setting.