Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Default install options issue?

Post by backupquestions »

So I'm setting up a new installation of Veeam B&R 10. I am pretty sure on other threads here it has been mentioned that Microsoft does not support using the changed blocks cache on REFS volumes.

Veeam installation defaults queries for free space or maybe total size of volumes on install, and it will select for example a large repository volume to use as the IRCACHE folder. (when this is a refs volume).

Seems like maybe an oversight thing now that we are dealing with a lot of people using refs volumes? So I guess I need to go back and tell it not to use defaults, and place that folder on C drive instead of D drive to be safe? Or has anything changed on REFS volumes handling IRCACHE.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Default install options issue?

Post by Gostev »

I'm not sure what technology Microsoft does not support on ReFS volumes (the term you mentioned does not ring any bells for me), but Veeam fully supports hosting our instant recovery cache folder on ReFS.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions »

Hi Gostev,

I was slightly mixing terms up. But here is a link. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rum=ws2016

Microsoft does not support nfs share on REFS file system apparently? Your vpower nfs is used for Instant Recovery correct? I guess as long as you guys support it then its fine and I will use it on those volumes.

The term "IRCACHE" is what Veeam v10 lists the folder as when it is going through the choices for defaults for installation. Instant recovery cache I guess right? Which is where you do the nfs share and store the changed blocks maybe? Or is the spot where they are stored different from the nfs share?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Right, we don't use Microsoft NFS server, so its limitations are irrelevant to us. vPower NFS is a custom-built NFS server.