Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Direct NFS with Nutanix?

Post by gingerdazza »

So, with the release of Veeam 9, is it known/anticipated whether the new BPs when deployed with Nutanix will be to have

1. Proxies on each Nutanix host
2. EnableSameHostHotaddMode=1
3. Use DirectNFS

?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Direct NFS with Nutanix?

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Not sure that I'm following you. Are you asking if enabling EnableSameHostHotaddMode key will affect the logic of choosing proxy in case of DirectNFS? Could you please rephrase the question?

Thanks
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Post by gingerdazza »

I suppose I'm just wondering whether the new Direct NFS will be usable/recommended with Nutanix.....?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 2 people like this post

Hi,
even if the best practice guide is still related to v8, we already have several customers leveraging DirectNFS in Nutanix + vSphere environment, and so far the feedback is great, with major speed improvements seen in the wild. For example:
https://msandbu.wordpress.com/2015/11/1 ... x-cluster/

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
pasculy1
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: mie

Post by pasculy1 » 1 person likes this post

Hi, I've gone through the link provided by Luca. We're currently running on FC 8gb SAN & each of the Veeam backup is going through SAN mode where the speed is at satisfactory level. We'll be setting up a new nutanix cluster of 4 nodes using vsphere 5.5. Each nodes has 2 x 10Gb NIC to a pair of 10Gb switches. I'm a bit worried on the performance expectation using Direct NFS. Here's our setup.

1) Physical Backup server with Dualport 10Gb nic (each port going to a pair of 10gb switch to read NFS datastore)
2) Physical vCenter server (only has 1Gb ethernet production & qlogic 8gb Dualport Fibre Channel HBA going direct to an external FC Storage as repository)
3) 4 x Nutanix block node (each has Dualport 10Gb NIC going to a pair of 10gb switch)
4) A pair of 10gb switch (for redundancy)
5) Currently have around 50 VMs in total & backing up half of them daily/weekly/monthly

I've few questions from this setup.
1) Is this a supported architecture by Veeam?
2) Do I need to setup an internal vswitch on each ESXi hosts?
3) Does each node need an additional dedicated 10Gb NIC for backup traffic?
4) Does the restore uses the NFS mode as well? If not what is the requirement to use NFS? (NBD is usually slow)
5) And if it's not too much to ask, really appreciate if you could look into supporting AHV. :) KVM is really gaining popularity with the openstack cloud.