Direct SAN Access connection on virtual backup server

VMware specific discussions

Re: Direct SAN Access connection on virtual backup server

Veeam Logoby danswartz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:28 pm

I seem to recall (back when I had only 1gb), that NBD was still quite a bit less performant than direct SAN. It's certainly possible that it would be acceptable performance if I *did* have 10gb for the management interface, but I can't justify it at this time :)
danswartz
Expert

Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Veeam Logoby GarethUK » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 am

PTide wrote:
The management NIC is 1gb only.
This. If an NBD mode is utilized the system retrieves the VM disks via the ESX(i) management interface. In the case that you've described NBD via 1Gb NIC competes with a direct-SAN via 10Gb NIC, which is not fair :wink: Another thing to mention about direct-SAN via 10Gbit vs NBD via 1Gbit - only 2x faster, that's not very impressive.

There are other issues with NBD. The direct from SAN backup has many advantages. We use a large number of virtualised proxy servers as data movers moving data from HP VSA via stock Window ISCSI vmxnet3 and get very fast backups. We are planning to remove the virtualised proxy servers because we can now get 40Gbps+ between our SAN and our backup repo's which wasn't previously possible (network topology issues). The repo's we are using have ample capacity to undertake the data mover role.

What danwatz describes is similar to some of our blade configs. So not unusual.

Our installation is not small and we generally get 100% backup success rates.

Regards,

Gareth
GarethUK
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gareth

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:25 am

There are other issues with NBD. The direct from SAN backup has many advantages
I didn't want it to seem like I was defending NBD, I just wanted to point out that the comparison of 1Gb NBD and 10Gb direct-SAN via virtual proxy is not valid. I totally agree that NBD is the last resort in case no other option is available. :)

The repo's we are using have ample capacity to undertake the data mover role.
Sounds good. Just don't forget to assign proxy roles to repos. Otherwise, if no suitable proxies detected, your data may flow through Veeam Server (default proxy) or the whole job will failover to network mode. Also keep in mind system requirements.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere