disable change block tracking in free version of veeam backu

VMware specific discussions

disable change block tracking in free version of veeam backu

Veeam Logoby joejoe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Is there a way to disable change block tracking in the free version of Veeam backup? I have 1 or 2 vms I would like to do a full backup of periodically but I don't want to enable change block tracking. Is this possible? From past experience, I believe the program does enable it and I would prefer not to.

I'm also looking at perhaps switching to the vCenter appliance. Can the free version successfully backup the appliance in a consistent state so if I had to restore, the VCSA would be useable?

Thanks
joejoe
Novice

Liked: never

Re: disable change block tracking in free version of veeam b

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 pm

VeeamZIP creates a full backup of your VM, it doesn't create a chain of incremental restore points. Yes, you can safely backup your vCenter Server appliance with Veeam backup free as well.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby joejoe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:46 pm

I just tried it on a dummy vm and VeeamZIP is turning on CBT. Is there a way to prevent that (like a registry key) as I would prefer not to have that option enabled on any VMs I try to backup.
joejoe
Novice

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 pm

You can disable this on the VM itself via vSphere Client. Can you please tell me why do you want to disable it?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby joejoe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:24 pm

The GUI won't allow me to turn it off without powering down the VM first. I found a little powershell code which seems to do it live but it's just one more thing to remember to do.

I want it disabled because I've seen a bug or two in the past and it's something I don't want to worry about. In fact, there's a new bug in ESXi 6 with CBT: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=2114076

Since VeeamZIP always does a full backup anyway, having it turn on CBT doesn't help and in certain cases might cause problems down the road.

Long story short, I want to keep things as simple as possible and taken an occasional backup or a vm or two. Turning on CBT, for zero gain in my situation, just adds one more thing to potentially cause problems.
joejoe
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 25, 2015 2:02 pm

There is actually a performance gain in using CBT, even during full backups (unused blocks are not read, which allows to speed up the backup itself and reduce stress put the storage).

And, btw, the mentioned bug is addressed by VMware in the recent ESXi patch.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1082 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere