Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fortune_KN
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fortuné KOUATCHA

Does Disk digest calculation impact Replica Mapping?

Post by fortune_KN »

Hi all,
i am replacating a 4TB Oracle DataBase VM with VB&R 9.5 using a replication job with Backup as a source. The duration of the replication is pretty good, but the RPO is bad (as i should wait backup first every 24h + the time the backup takes + the time the replication itself takes).

I would like then to create a new replication job with production as a source and use replica created by the previous job with Backup as source for mapping.

My question is: will this operation engage Disk Digest Calculation? if yes, how could i avoid it as it takes too much time and it will also block the backup job?

My intention is to replace the replication job from Backup by the one from Production. And i don't want to modify the existing job (from backup) since it will be my rollback plan if the new replication job from Production takes more time than expected.

Infrastructure Properties
-->Production Site
1 physical Server as Veeam Backup server, proxy and WAN Acc

-->DR Site
1 VM as Veeam Backup server
1 VM as Proxy
1 VM as WAN Acc

--> Replication using WAN Acc

Thank you in advance for your answer.
F.K.
Life is like Backup: we always behave as if its not important till the day we have a crash :lol:

:D Keep working! Keep smiling! :D
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Does Disk digest calculation impact Replica Mapping?

Post by csydas »

Hi Fortune,

afaik, mapping to a replica always produces a Digests Calculation; it appears to be essential to know that the target VM indeed has parity with the source VM.

So sorry, I think you just have to grin and bear it for the digests calculation.
fortune_KN
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fortuné KOUATCHA

Post by fortune_KN »

Hello csydas,
Sorry for the Delay and Thank you for your reply. Effectively, disk digest calculation have run.

Could you please tell me if disk digest calculation only matter with VEEAM, or if it’s something related to VMware?
F.K.
Life is like Backup: we always behave as if its not important till the day we have a crash :lol:

:D Keep working! Keep smiling! :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It's our process, not related to VMware. Thanks!