Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lampshade
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Domain Controller Backup

Post by lampshade »

Hi All,

I would like to get some clarification. When backing up a domain controller (virtual) - do we need to "enable application-aware processing"? I am getting conflicting messages. I thought this option was for if you are running SQL/Oracle/exchange/sharepoint within your server. If we want a transactional consistency backup of a DC do I need this enabled? Do we need to enable the option to enable the VM tools quiescence then disable the aaip? do we need to enable both? disable one or the other? what are other people doing with regards to their DC's?
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Domain Controller Backup

Post by ronnmartin61 » 1 person likes this post

from https://www.veeam.com/kb2119
Application-Aware Processing must be enabled and working to ensure proper restore of a Domain Controller.
lampshade
Influencer

Post by lampshade »

ronnmartin61:

I did enable this then try a backup - and failed with an error - complaining about the VSS writer NTDS. I do have a screenshot. I was told by support to disable this application aware processing option. Our exiting backup environment is still doing backups on this and it seems to take VSS consistent backups with no problem. This perhaps might be causing some issues?

I just checked our existing backup system and it looks like its using the AGENT on our DC. This is possible to do with veeam as well but we shouldn't have to run the veeam agent to do a consistent backup. Kinda of defeats the purpose.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Not a valid support answer, indeed. You should investigate why the VSS writer fails.

That said, we do recommend using VSS for all Windows VMs, regardless of whether they have Exchange, SQL, or whatever server installed since, without VSS quiescence, your backups will be crash-consistent, not application consistent. Even a clean Windows system has VSS writers installed, so you do want to use them to quiesce the applications properly. This is especially critical in the case of a domain controller, to enable proper restore.
lampshade
Influencer

Post by lampshade »

Foggy - thanks for the help. I see our existing backup software did do a VSS consistent snapshot successfully - I am wondering why the veeam one fails? Every time the veeam one fails on the NTDS writer goes into "not stable". I reboot - then its stable again. Maybe I will escalate our ticket. We have been through most of the basic troubleshooting that the KB article mentions.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, it's hard to say without a deeper investigation - feel free to escalate the case.
lampshade
Influencer

Post by lampshade » 1 person likes this post

Hello..
Well I got the vss backup working on the DC by using the agent. After installing the veeam agent - the backup was successful even with aaip. Its odd how it wasn't working by using the storage snap. It seems like something specific with this server as other servers work fine. As for now, the agent is working and i have a valid backup now. Either way this server is due for an upgrade very soon. thanks for the help.
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 47 times

Post by albertwt »

lampshade wrote: Nov 01, 2022 6:17 pm Hi All,

I would like to get some clarification. When backing up a domain controller (virtual) - do we need to "enable application-aware processing"? I am getting conflicting messages. I thought this option was for if you are running SQL/Oracle/exchange/sharepoint within your server. If we want a transactional consistency backup of a DC do I need this enabled? Do we need to enable the option to enable the VM tools quiescence then disable the aaip? do we need to enable both? disable one or the other? what are other people doing with regards to their DC's?
Hi lampshade,
Out of curiosity, does this VM was converted before from a physical machine using P2V tool?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */