Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
DonZoomik
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times

Re: Domain Controller required user backup permissions

Post by DonZoomik » Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Add your Veeam guest service account user to "BUILTIN\Administrators" group in "Builtin" OU, it is considered local Administrators on all DCs.
Quiescence should work fine as AD is VSS aware.

pidthepiper
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Bilal AHmed

Post by pidthepiper » May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Ok, I am having DC backup issues.

Some of my DCs back up application aware fine, but some do not. None of them allow VIX, but they all pass the RPC credentials check.

IF I disable UAC VIX passes, but all my DCs are set to level 3 and some of them backup via RPC fine. We do not really want to disable UAC on them, the service is account for Veeam is in Domain Admins too, yet the issue persists.

I have tried adding the account into BUIltIN\Adminsitrators and then re-enabling UAC and VIX fails .

I cant figure out why some DCs are backing up fine and some are not. I can't seem to figure out what the differences are. They are all 2008R2 Dcs with a 2003 forest level, they are currently on slightly different patch levels.

Case # 02975554 if anyone wants to have a look, I am out of ideas. I guess i do not need to back up every DC, but I would like to simply because I am paying for Veeam and want to use the features it provides ha

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1361 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » May 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi Bilal, for backup over VIX, you either need to use built-in Administrator account (that is exempt from UAC) or disable UAC.