Don't Store Backups on VMFS...But why not?

VMware specific discussions

Re: Don't Store Backups on VMFS...But why not?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 am

Heiko - actually, what you explained is the ONLY right way to do things. Backup is not a backup until you have 3 copies of it. However, I see too many customers neglecting this rule of thumb, often because "doing this right" requires up to 3x of backup storage, and they simply cannot afford doing it right...
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2411 times

Veeam Logoby bhwong » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:20 am

I was having the same thought as taylorbox regarding using VMFS for storing backup.

1. Installing an ESXi to retrieve backup data thru VMFS is much faster than installing Windows to retrieve backup data thru NTFS.

2. If all ESXi hosts are down, you will still need to setup a new ESXi host anyway in order to run the backup VMs.

3. Chances of VMFS corruption - never experienced before. Chances of NTFS corruption? Quite often. At least an virus attack to delete files on an VMFS volume is highly unlikely.

4. Simulaneous connection (write) in a SAN volume is supported by VMFS but not NTFS which will lead to corruption. (Having 2 backup app writing to the same volume at the same time etc?)

Having said the above, someone reminded me about the big difference between using the storage for backup and replication. For replication, it will be VMFS instead of NTFS.

However, since backup will be compressed and dedup, we will need Veeam to restore it, or use extract utility provided. Thus, NTFS will provide direct access to restore the backup from any connected Windows computer or even execute the backup VMs to boot up immediately thru vPower. With VMFS, we will add an additional step of mapping the VMDK files into a Windows VM etc to access it. That's the only disadvantages I can agreed upon, apart from the 2TG limits.
bhwong
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Veeam Logoby sergeadam » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Additional consideration. My VEEAM proxies are VMs. The backup targets are Dell MD1200 SAS attached arrays. ESXi will nor see any 'locally attached' arays as RDM. I have to create a vmdk to point to the storage. Sometimes you can't get away from vmdks.
sergeadam
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Serge Adam

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Thank you for your opinions, guys. This will let future readers make the right choice, having all pros and cons in hands.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:08 am

Hi,
With the new v7 version it will be supported a vmdk disk for store the backups?
I think now you can create a linked backup copy job to "save" your backup to a CIFS share...

Thanks,
Carlo
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Carlo - it was always supported, just not recommended... but if you have a copies of your backups sitting somewhere else, then it is certainly fine to use VMDK as a primary backup repository. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby pcrebe » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Gostev,
Back from holiday i will install the new v7 using, as defaul repository, a vmdk disk attacched to the B&R server and creating the new backup copy job for GFS rotation on my qnap.

Some suggestion for compression?

Being now the B&R vm on the destination host of replicas i'm thinking to store replicas in the production SAN, another raid and controller, for best RTO and the backups on the local esxi datastore because if i'll lost that esxi host all my replicas and backups would be lost too...

Thanks!
pcrebe
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:45 pm

I believe the default compression settings should work best.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby karlochacon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 pm

hey guys what about VMDK size?

now that 2TB limit is gone, can I just use 1 single 15TB repository in my Veeam Server stored in datastore as VMDK? or should create instead 3 VMDKs separated in 3 SCSI controllers? any ideas?

thanks
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:09 am

You can do that, but it's still not considered to be the best practice due to the complexity it brings to restoration procedure. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby karlochacon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:01 pm

which procedure brings complexity? one big disk VMDK or multiple VMDK disks (small ones)?
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Vladimir means complexity caused by the fact that you'd need to setup a new VI prior to starting the actual restore (while with NTFS repository you could just start the restore right away).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere