Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jmggmgb
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jose Miguel Garcia Gonzalvez

Doubts about Backup Proxy.

Post by jmggmgb »

Case ID 05560979

Hi Team, I have a doubt about Backup Proxy implementation.

We can deploy a backup proxy trought "New VMware Proxy" Wizard. When we do this, "Veeam installer Services" and "Veeam Data Movers" are implemented in the Windows Server selected.

Apart of this, when I register a new Windows System in Veeam, automatically "Data Movers" is installed.

Since "Data Mover" is the main componente of Proxy Backup, when I register a new Windows System, can we say that this new system is already a Backup Proxy?

thanks

Jose Miguel.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2293 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Doubts about Backup Proxy.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jose

Welcome to the R&D forum.
It's true, the same components will be used. But the Data Mover service will be installed for every managed server. It is also used for components like Gateway Server, Tape Server, File Proxy, Mount Server or Backup Repositories. It is not a service that is only used for the VMware Proxy Server.

You need to add the managed server as a VMware Proxy because there are additional settings to configure that are only available for a VMware Proxy. And if any managed server would be automatically a proxy, the default vm backup job configuration would use any managed server to create backups of your VMs. With repository servers in restricted networks or repository server in other locations, that could lead to backup issues.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jmggmgb
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jose Miguel Garcia Gonzalvez

Re: Doubts about Backup Proxy.

Post by jmggmgb »

Thanks very much Mildur, it is clear.