Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dmyers33
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Don Myers

DR Site Questions

Post by dmyers33 »

I am new to Veeam, so excuse if I'm asking questions that have already been answered.
I just want to gain a better architectural understanding

Production Site
2 ESXi servers
20-30 VMs
v Center VM
Veeam Virtual machine

NAS Storage
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WAN
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Site
2 ESXi servers
Veeam Virtual machine
?? Create VMs

NAS Storage

DR Site
I am assuming that I have to have a network setup exactly like the Production site?
I create the DR ESXi and attach to datastore(s) big enough to handle the replicated VM plus snapshots
What do I have to do to the Veeam server to get it ready to "catch" the replicated VMs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to do basic replication so that we can recover in an emergency 4 hr RTO
OR
Actually run the VMs at the DR site

1. Do I have to create the VMs at the recovery site first or will veeam do that?
2. What is the process flow on the replication?
3. Do I need a backup proxy at both locations / suggested?
4. Does Veeam just update the underling disk files on the ESXi?
5. When I create a new VM at the production site, will it be automatically created at the DR site
6. To actually run the DR VM's do I just login as usual? Do I get full functionality?

Thanks all
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: DR Site Questions

Post by Gostev »

Hi Don, please read up the sticky FAQ topic and the User Guide, which cover all of these questions in great details. Otherwise, it would be too much of someone's time on copy/paste work with no value to this community.

If you still have any questions after going through the referenced materials, feel free to ask on the forum (having searched for existing discussions first).

Thanks!
dmyers33
Influencer

Post by dmyers33 »

I have actually gone through the Admin Guide, and did not see my questions answered in detail. My concern is about the architecture of the Veeam product at a remote site and what actually happens.

I did not get a clear understanding of these details and I have read a bunch on the product.

If you can point me to the FAQ that explains this I'd be thankful.
Or if there is a white paper on the subject I'd also be thankful.

Another person was kind enough to answer some of my questions, but I have a few left.

Please see --> Backup Strategy

Thanks for any help Gostev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

dmyers33 wrote:1. Do I have to create the VMs at the recovery site first or will veeam do that?
Veeam will replicate the VMs.
dmyers33 wrote:2. What is the process flow on the replication?
3. Do I need a backup proxy at both locations / suggested?
Here is a good reading that covers these questions: >>> READ FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<
dmyers33 wrote:4. Does Veeam just update the underling disk files on the ESXi?
During incremental replication job runs only changed blocks will be transferred to your DR site.
dmyers33 wrote:5. When I create a new VM at the production site, will it be automatically created at the DR site
Yes, please see this thread for more info: Automatic Backup of new VMs?
dmyers33 wrote:6. To actually run the DR VM's do I just login as usual? Do I get full functionality?
Yes, you need to perform a failover operation to run the DR VMs.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

dmyers33 wrote:If you can point me to the FAQ that explains this I'd be thankful.
See sticky topic on the very top of every B&R forum. Right next to the New Topic button. Cannot really miss it?
dmyers33
Influencer

Post by dmyers33 »

Gostev;

I must be dense

So I go to Veeam Backup forum and there is a new topic button. I dot's see anything called sticky
What am I missing??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You are missing the FAQ topic right below that button, in the Announcements area. The topic is stickied to the top of the forum, thus the name ;)
dmyers33
Influencer

Post by dmyers33 »

Thanks. After reading the FAQ, it really did answer most of my questions.

Does the VMware ESX server have to be running at the DR site, or just the backup proxy.

Working with the product really helped.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

dmyers33 wrote:Does the VMware ESX server have to be running at the DR site, or just the backup proxy.
If you are going to replicate, you need ESX server at the DR site to host replica VMs, and actually run them upon failover.