Error after vSphere update

VMware specific discussions

Re: Error after vSphere update

Veeam Logoby Wlacroix » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 pm

I just want to be sure I understand this error and how to fix it.
"File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>"

DS3500 using ISCSI
Block size is 4mb, segment size is 128k

Configured server in question is a file server, a big one. Unfortionatly its now in production.

C: 60gb
D: 500gb
E: 500gb
F: 1tb

From my research, the block size on the datastore in question has to be 8mb to accomidate the snap shot file while the back runs. Please correct me if im wrong.

Now....
Can I increase the block size on the DS3500 without a format?
Wlacroix
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Wally LaCroix

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 pm

AFAIK format is required. Keep in mind that instead, you can create the new datastore to hold snapshots, and redirect VM snapshot location there.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Wally,

And if you want to redirect the default snapshot location use vSphere Client: Select VM> Summary > Options > General > Configuration Parameters > Add Row. Add workingDir parameter to set a new datastore path for the snapshots.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Wlacroix » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:06 pm

BUMP, I found it. Thanks guys.

Regards,
Wally
Wlacroix
Influencer

Full Name: Wally LaCroix

Freezing guest operating system VM-10750

Veeam Logoby knhod@notteroy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:48 am

[merged]

Trying to back up an exchange server (Exchange 2003) and receiving error:

CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-10750", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "False" File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>

Another Exchange server (2010) sorks fine.

Searcing for VM-10750 in the forum or google gives no feedback.

Help....
knhod@notteroy
Lurker

Full Name: Knut H. Ødegaard

Veeam Logoby X-POSE » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:33 am

I am having the same issue

Runnin vSphere 5 / Veeam B&R 5.0.2.230 with the 5.0.2.255 hotfix.

I am still getting the error:

Freezing guest operating system\CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-13", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", Description "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "False"\File BMASBS/BMASBS.vmx is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '[BMA-SYSTEM]

This is a brand new install of vSphere 5 Essentials and Veeam Essentials.

Any ideas?
X-POSE
Novice

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:47 am

Is this a brand new datastore? Can you create a snapshot via vCenter of this VM? With vSphere 4 this would normally mean that the datastore on which the .vmx file is stored does not have a large enough block size to store the snapshots for the VMDK files on the larger datastores. The easiest fix (without downtime) is to use vMotion to relocate the VM configuration (.vmx file) to a datastore with the largest block size.

That being said, I thought the VMFS5 used a consistent block size, but if these were upgraded VMFS3 datastores it might still be an issue.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby X-POSE » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:28 am

brand new install and datastores on vmfs5 (no upgrade) - all 1mb block size - Not changable. Maximum size seems to be auto calculated.

All disks needing to be backed up:

Hard Disk 1: 250GB
Hard Disk 2: 600GB
Hard Disk 3: 2TB
X-POSE
Novice

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:29 am

Can you take a snapshot with vCenter? The 2TB disk is somewhat of a concern. How big is the datastore on which that disk is installed? Does it have enough space to store the snapshot? According to VMware a snapshot of a 2TB VMDK requires 16GB of "overhead" meaning that the usable space is 2032GB, plus, with vSphere 5 the snapshots are created on the datastore on which the individual disks are stored so each disk requires enough space to store the snapshot files. See the "Calculating the overhead required by by snapshot files" in the following VMware KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1012384

They list the approximate required overhead for various VMDK sizes, and then state this:

Note: VMware recommends that you to create virtual disks of size less than the maximum minus the overhead, to enable use of features like Snapshot, Clone, and Independent-nonpersistent disks.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1737 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Cannot Exclude Disk

Veeam Logoby NYTECJ » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm

[merged]

Error:
Freezing guest operating system CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "192", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "False" File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>

I have a server with two 256gb drives on two separate datastores. One 256gb drive on Datastore0 and the second on datastore1. There is nothing on the second drive. Veeam shows 316gb of space is needed. Even if I exclude the second drive. I am running V5.02.230. This server in question is what Veeam is running. Backup of all other VM servers are successful.
NYTECJ
Novice

Veeam replication Issue

Veeam Logoby ahmedrami » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:41 pm

[merged]

Hi,
We use Vmware vSpere 4.1 in our Data Center ,and Veeam for replication.
I am trying to replicate my mail server which is( 1.09 T),but the replication always it fail. And I got this message:
File<unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore’<unspecified datastore>
Note:The destination DataStore is(1.82 T)
thanks,
Ahmedrami,
ahmedrami
Novice

Full Name: ahmed Mahmoud Abdellah

File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size

Veeam Logoby framepool » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:26 pm

[merged]

Hi,

i have this error on 2 of my VM's.
the disk size of the VM is 256gby and the blocksize is 1mb
i'm using ESXi 4.1.0 build 348481 and 4.0.0 build 208167 also Veeam Backup and Replication 6.0.0.153

so my question is, how can i get a backup of this 2 Vm's

can i change the blocksize and keep the VM's?
is there an easyier way to get a b&R of those 2 VM's

Thx in advance even if this question was already asked, but i havent found a solution yet
framepool
Lurker

larger than the maximum size supported...

Veeam Logoby LeoJBI » Wed May 02, 2012 8:24 pm

[merged]

5/2/2012 1:50:00 AM :: Error: File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>

How do I interrupt this message? Am I looking at the size of my datastore or block size? How do I resolve it? I am attempting to backup a Sharepoint 2010 sever.

Please advise...
LeoJBI
Influencer

Full Name: Leo Hernandez

File is larger than the max. size...

Veeam Logoby LeoJBI » Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 pm

[merged]

Hello,

I just received the error telling me that the "File is larger than the max. size supported by the datastore". I just read through the material I could find on the subject, But, I have some confusion.

I am attempting to backup a newly created VM that is hosting my Sharepoint 2010. It currently only occupies 25gb (with 75gb free). However, when I browse the datastore for my vmdk file, I notice that the provision size is 104gb!

My question is; if I reduce the number of Restore points, would this reduce the space provisioned? I am trying to look into a quick solution until I have time to more thoroughly research this dilemma.

Thanks for your help,

Leo
LeoJBI
Influencer

Full Name: Leo Hernandez

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue May 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Leo, reducing the number of restore points wouldn't help, as the error relates to VMFS datastore block size. Please look through this topic to get more info on the resolution.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere