Error: There is no FIB

VMware specific discussions

Re: Error: no FIB [xxx.vmdk] in the specified restore point

Veeam Logoby Tibo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:51 am

I have the same issue on Veeam 6.5 with two very different setups : One is a virtual server running Veeam 6.5 on Windows 2008 R2 backuping on a Quantum NAS, the other is a physical Veeam 6.5 on Windows 2003 32 Bits backuping on local disks).

Both setups are configured to use incremental + synthetic on saturday + transform previous backups into rollback.

Both are working great but fail to do the synthetic on saturday (a retry gives the same error).

I'm collecting the logs right now to open a support case.
Tibo
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Tibo

Veeam Logoby nreutemann » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 am

I got (again) this error.

There is no error on storage system, so the corruption file don´t come from that side.

I need a solution very quick, I don´t have free space to create a new full backup so, that is not a choice to solution the problem.

Any clue? (Veeam B&R 6.5 installed, physical server, w2008 R2)
nreutemann
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Nicolas Reutemann

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:21 am

To get immediate assistance on the technical issues, it's always better to contact our support team directly. This is not a support forum.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1103 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby nreutemann » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Yes, I know Vitaly. Simply, I post here to publicate my situation.

This is my support case: 00155035

Thanks.
nreutemann
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Nicolas Reutemann

Veeam Logoby MaartenK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:08 am

I had the same problem.

first I received the message
TextFromTar failed Client error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].

Ok no problem I think? But the next day The backup failed again

with the message
Failed to delete oib '[vmname=servername:creation_time=16-11-2012 0:20:03:alg=Transform:id=4d717669-b3ab-476c-a041-78fa67811b41:point_id=32cbcc8a-012d-495d-b6b8-2001312244cc:storage_id=2a8868c7-a403-44e5-89af-a8c0b263fe07]' from '\\nas-2\Backup Prod12012-11-15T193116.vbk', redo '\\nas-2\Backup Prod12012-11-15T193116.vrb' Undir failed Client error: The process cannot access the file because............also strange the line stops by 'because'??

After that I created a Full backup. This went successful (as mentioned in this topic)

The Full Backup went ok and started a rescan of the repository. I was able to restore A full VM and files older then the last Full Backup.
MaartenK
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Maarten Kalkema

Veeam Logoby Tobias_Elfstrom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:06 am

I generally see this type of errors if the process of the Veeam job suddenly stops for one reason or another. It may be storage problem, Veeam server or proxy problems etc.
All it says seems to be that there is some kind of problem with the backup files in question and doing a full backup of that job have always solved it for me. Now this will not solve the problem nor find the root cause but makes a pretty good workaround.
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

[MERGED] there is no fib error

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Last night my backup failed with the error "there is no fib"

According to some messages on the forum, doing a full backup is the solution. But I'm doing offsite backup so is not a solution to me.

I already have a case opened but I will not have workaround until monday, so I'm asking for help.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: aevenot

Re: there is no fib error

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Hello, upgrading B&R to the latest version and doing full backup is the only solution I am aware of, unfortunately.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Re: Error: There is no FIB

Veeam Logoby bernardw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:15 am

I wanted to say I also am getting this error on a fully updated Veeam install. I have 5 other jobs running on the same hardware without any issues.

I will run a new full backup, but will there be any way to have support check the log files on Monday to determin why it is failing?

I should say that it looks like the incrementals are being created successfully. It is just the synthetic full with rollback chains that is not working. I think that it created one roll back since the previous full but the rest are still forward incrementals.
bernardw
Influencer

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:46 am

you're right the problem happened right after the synthetic, I think the rollback chain has not been treated correctly.

I'm doing offsite backup for my 9 sites, the backup in error is around 1To so it's verry complicated to me to redo a full backup.

I prefer losing all backup for thids week instead of doing a full backup

I sincerely hope the support will find a workaround on monday.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:34 am

if that helps, I have a vib and a vb with the same name in my backup repo.

and now My job failed wth the error "failed to repair transformed iob"
aevenot
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 am

The backup in error is around 1To so it's verry complicated to me to redo a full backup.

Then, i’m wondering whether it’s possible to perform full backup to local repository first and transfer it afterwards to remote location using external device.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 969 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm

I've already done that to perform the first initial backup so it's possible but It's very time consuming.

On my central site, I have to put all the files (vib and vmb) on a usb drive, then send the drive to the remote site to do a full backup, then after resend the drive and commit all the files to my b&r server.

For now I have only one site but at term we will have 9 sites located in different country. So as I tell, It will be very time consuming if this problem happens another time.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:35 pm

The support asks me to do a full backup so I'm doing it right now.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby TimeKnight » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Anyone know if this has been corrected with patch 3? I got this error again over the weekend. I know opening a case will just result in them asking me to run a full backup, which will band-aid the problem but does not really correct it. Running the active full will force me to deal with an extra 1TB backup for 3 weeks until it has rolled off with my retention policy since active fulls are not transformed when a synthetic backup is preformed.

To me this is a serious problem. If this has not been addressed in 6.5 patch 3 it should defiantly be corrected in 7.0. I wish Veeam would spend more time making the core of the product rock solid instead of adding features.
TimeKnight
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Weinberg

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere