I have received this error as well - more than once - There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: .
After contacting support, it was determined that, a backup to tape was in progress, and the file in use, (this wasn't planned, the tape backup just took longer than expected) while the Veeam backup tried to run a transform and this corrupted the entire backup chain.
The solution to rerun a full backup is just not an acceptable one. It's not a solution - it's not even a very good workaround. This backup is going offsite and therefore needed to be re-seeded (not a simple task as others with the same situation know).
So I managed to re-seed it and get the backup running again - and made sure this time that no tape backups would conflict with the Veeam backup - and then less than 2 weeks later, I ran into this issue again. This time it wasn't the tape backup, but a SureBackup job of all things that was hung and carried over into the backup window, holding the file in use. Once the backup ran, it corrupted the entire backup chain....again.
The fact that the backup file just simply being in use (read-only mind you) corrupts the entire backup chain when a transform is attempted is, to me, absolutely and utterly RIDICULOUS. And that it could happen from a SureBackup job is even worse.
A file could end up being in use for any number of reasons, and the fact that Veeam isn't able to recover from something as simple as that is just unacceptable.
I love Veeam, don't get me wrong, but such a robust product should be able to recover from this, either to just error out without causing damage, to repair the damage after the fact, or how about this, maybe just check to see if the file is in use before you go ahead and corrupt the whole thing. I know it can't be that difficult to check that the backup file isn't in use.
To the product management team, please fix this! I mean, at least check the status of the file before you go ahead and let the software corrupt the whole damn thing with no ability to repair it.
Sorry for the rant, but if this issue continues, having to reseed so often will make Veeam almost useless for us backing up offsite.