Error: There is no FIB

VMware specific discussions

Re: Error: There is no FIB

Veeam Logoby TimeKnight » Mon May 13, 2013 3:42 pm

foggy wrote:
TimeKnight wrote:Well this does not seem to be working for me as I have 2 large VBK files for this backup job.

After transform of the backup chain you should come up with the most recent full VBK (being created synthetically from the latest and all previous restore points in the chain), a set of rollbacks (including the one transformed from the base VBK) and probably some previous backup chains with their respective VBK files. Isn't that the case with your jobs?

Probably, reviewing the corresponding user guide section (p.31) will make it more clear than my explanation.

Nope that is not what is happening for me. And I looked after this weekends back (that included a transformation) and not only do I have 2 1.1TB .vbk's I also have more than 20 restore points, and my backup job is configured to keep 15!.
TimeKnight
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Weinberg

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 am

TimeKnight wrote:Nope that is not what is happening for me. And I looked after this weekends back (that included a transformation) and not only do I have 2 1.1TB .vbk's I also have more than 20 restore points, and my backup job is configured to keep 15!.

Brian, I'm not saying that you should not have two VBK files after transform, please read my post carefully. Anyway, it's hard to investigate without seeing actual backup files you have on repository. I suggest contacting support directly so they could review the restore points you have currently on backup storage, your job settings and see what is actually happening. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby TimeKnight » Tue May 14, 2013 2:50 pm

I have opened a ticket.

I just do not understand any situation where I would have two .vbk files in my backup directory the day after my “transformation.” Hopefully support can help.
TimeKnight
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:14 am

In a situation where you had to perform an active full some day in the past and the previous full had not fallen out of the retention yet.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TimeKnight » Wed May 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Why does the transformation not convert that previous full into a rollback?
TimeKnight
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 am

TimeKnight wrote:Why does the transformation not convert that previous full into a rollback?

We've discussed that previously:

foggy wrote:
TimeKnight wrote:since active fulls are not transformed when a synthetic backup is preformed.

This is not 100% true as the most recent active full should be transferred to rollback file. All preceding full backups should stay intact.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby TimeKnight » Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 pm

foggy wrote:This is not 100% true as the most recent active full should be transferred to rollback file. All preceding full backups should stay intact.

So only the most recent "full" will be transformed, is that a changeable option? In my case I had to preform an active full due to a corrupt backup chain and the only known correction/workaround is "rerunning the full backup"
I only want to ever have one "full backup" on disk to save space.
TimeKnight
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 16, 2013 2:51 pm

TimeKnight wrote:So only the most recent "full" will be transformed, is that a changeable option?

No.

TimeKnight wrote:In my case I had to preform an active full due to a corrupt backup chain and the only known correction/workaround is "rerunning the full backup"

Yes, that is what I was talking about.

TimeKnight wrote:I only want to ever have one "full backup" on disk to save space.

All previous fulls will be removed in time according to your retention settings and you'll come up with a single full and rollbacks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby bernardw » Mon May 20, 2013 3:56 pm

foggy wrote:
TimeKnight wrote:I only want to ever have one "full backup" on disk to save space.

All previous fulls will be removed in time according to your retention settings and you'll come up with a single full and rollbacks.

Unfortunately this statement is not necessarily true. If you had to delete the backup from Veeam to be able to create a new active full Veeam no longer knows about any of the past backups. And as a result you will need to delete them your self.
bernardw
Influencer

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 20, 2013 4:42 pm

True. I was talking about general case, where all backups are available. Of course, you need to manually take care of backup removed from console.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JayFo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:15 pm

I have received this error as well - more than once - There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://Tar2Text]. CHMOD mask: [0].

After contacting support, it was determined that, a backup to tape was in progress, and the file in use, (this wasn't planned, the tape backup just took longer than expected) while the Veeam backup tried to run a transform and this corrupted the entire backup chain.

The solution to rerun a full backup is just not an acceptable one. It's not a solution - it's not even a very good workaround. This backup is going offsite and therefore needed to be re-seeded (not a simple task as others with the same situation know).

So I managed to re-seed it and get the backup running again - and made sure this time that no tape backups would conflict with the Veeam backup - and then less than 2 weeks later, I ran into this issue again. This time it wasn't the tape backup, but a SureBackup job of all things that was hung and carried over into the backup window, holding the file in use. Once the backup ran, it corrupted the entire backup chain....again.

The fact that the backup file just simply being in use (read-only mind you) corrupts the entire backup chain when a transform is attempted is, to me, absolutely and utterly RIDICULOUS. And that it could happen from a SureBackup job is even worse.

A file could end up being in use for any number of reasons, and the fact that Veeam isn't able to recover from something as simple as that is just unacceptable.

I love Veeam, don't get me wrong, but such a robust product should be able to recover from this, either to just error out without causing damage, to repair the damage after the fact, or how about this, maybe just check to see if the file is in use before you go ahead and corrupt the whole thing. I know it can't be that difficult to check that the backup file isn't in use.

To the product management team, please fix this! I mean, at least check the status of the file before you go ahead and let the software corrupt the whole damn thing with no ability to repair it.

Sorry for the rant, but if this issue continues, having to reseed so often will make Veeam almost useless for us backing up offsite.
JayFo
Novice

Full Name: Jason F

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:26 am

Jason, just to make sure, have you recreated the job during reseed, as it is advised in this topic above?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby JayFo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 pm

foggy wrote:Jason, just to make sure, have you recreated the job during reseed, as it is advised in this topic above?

I believe that I created the job after the upgrade to 6.5, but I need to reseed it again, so I will recreate the job just to make sure. Although, the support tech I worked with never suggested that.
JayFo
Novice

Full Name: Jason F

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Would like to hear the results.

Also, I believe you could use a scheduled PowerShell script to check whether the VBK file is locked prior to running transform, should address your request in some sense.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 am

Hi, Jason.

Alexander is right here. There is an existing custom PS function called File-Lock that checks whether a given file is in use or not. You can utilize it in conjunction with Windows Scheduler, so that, before the backup operation takes place this script will verify that a backup file isn’t used by any other applications:

Code: Select all
function Test-FileLock {

param (
[parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
[string]$Path
)

$oFile = New-Object System.IO.FileInfo $Path

if ((Test-Path -Path $Path) -eq $false)
{
$false
return
}

try
{
$oStream = $oFile.Open([System.IO.FileMode]::Open, [System.IO.FileAccess]::ReadWrite, [System.IO.FileShare]::None)
if ($oStream)
{
$oStream.Close()
}
$false
}
catch
{
# file is locked by a process.
$true
}
}