Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JayFo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason F

Re: Error: There is no FIB

Post by JayFo »

Thanks guys. That sounds like an interesting workaround, although I don't understand why a simple bit of code like that hasn't been incorporated into the product to prevent these issues in the first place.

Also, I'm not sure how exactly this needs to get implemented. I'm assuming it has to be run prior to the job, but I'm not sure how to set that up.

Although, Foggy, you said that it would be used to check prior to the transform, so that implies that it would run in the job somewhere and check immediately before the transform process, no? If not, my only concern would be that if it checks prior to the entire job, that something could change between job kickoff and the transform process itself, which could be hours later. But I guess it's still better than nothing.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You're right, this workaround implies that the script is performed before the entire job has kicked in, so indeed some time could pass until the actual transform operation.
JayFo
Novice
Full Name: Jason F

Post by JayFo »

Ok, it's not optimal, but I'd still like to implement it. Not sure how to do that though. I see the option for post job activity, but nothing pre-job. How would I set the job to start conditionally based on the result of the script?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can do that with the help of Windows Scheduler, by scheduling this check and calling backup job on the appropriate check result only. You could ask in PowerShell subforum for help, if you need more detailed instructions.
TimeKnight
Enthusiast
Full Name: Brian Weinberg

Post by TimeKnight »

I wanted to post again to this forum that i am still having the "There is no FIB" error. I am running B&R 6.5.0.144 (64-bit) and had the error on 5 of my jobs over the weekend. I contacted support (Cast # 00460099) and the initial response was to run active full backups to resolve the issue.

These are all jobs that have been created after 6.1 patch 1.

I guess i will re-run my jobs (as if i have a choice) but i hope that some high level engineer will look at my logs and see what is going on.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Brian, you can ask your existing engineer to escalate your case to a higher tier engineer (if needed).
Fizzer
Enthusiast
Full Name: Andy Braithwaite

Post by Fizzer »

Quick question, can anyone tell me if this problem is largeley cured with V7 with its new offsiting ability?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

According to this KB article, this problem should not exist in version 6.5 and above, so I assume it should no longer be present in v7. I have also quickly searched through our support portal for these kind of errors in v7, and haven't found any...
itdirector
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: friedman

Post by itdirector »

That is no accurate. We are running Version 7 patch 1 & just expirienced the "There is no FIB" error in our job. Case #00469159. Supports response is again to recreate our jobs to a new folder & run active fulls; which is very time consuming, not to mention has a significant impact on our storage capacity.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Did the support engineer give you the explanation of why this happened?
itdirector
Enthusiast

Post by itdirector »

No, below is their generic response. We obviously have no storage metadata corruption nor storage block corruption. We have ran numerous disk tests, along with daily disk monitoring. Creating a new respository, on the same storage device works fine. As I stated, that is not an easy solution for us nor most of Veeam's customers that have large backup files.

- Storage Metadata corruption is irreversible, and can be caused by storage block corruption on the repository • Recommended removing job from backups, renaming the job folder on the repository, then running an active full for this job
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

"There is no FIB" issue has nothing to deal with storage metadata corruption, almost sounds like the support engineer confused support cases.

Anyway, talking specifically about your no FIB issue, do you know if the job in question was created on v6? Or, it is a newly created v7 job? If former, then it is quite expected. If latter, then I will be all over devs with this support case tomorrow :)
itdirector
Enthusiast

Post by itdirector »

Thx for the input Gostev. Our Jobs were definitely created in version 6 (not sure what 6 version), but about 1.5 years ago. Is there any way to "update" the jobs to version 7 without having to recreate them?

An alternate solution I found was the following:
- Leave the job & repository as is. Manually rename or move the .vbm file in the folder that is having the issue to a temp folder. Do an Active Full, then tell it to re-scan the repository again when done, which seems to have worked since it shows the previous backups (full & roll backs) & I am able to restore from old & the new . Obviously, this is not a good solution going forward since our backups (full actives) are large.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, then it makes sense. Unfortunately, in this case indeed recreating the jobs is the only option. There is no way to "fix" this issue once it gets introduced in the backup chain.

I don't think your plan will work, the job will probably fail reporting it cannot find older backup files. You are better of starting clean, and it will require the same disk space as your plan above anyway.
JoshRountree
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh Rountree

Post by JoshRountree »

Case ID 00540885

I really hope I don't get burned by this, but it's looking that way.

I have 2 sites, production and DR, I got this error on my production backup jobs, not my DR.

Can I re-create my jobs, and map to my existing backups, and avoid this issue? Or do I have to re-create my jobs and backup from scratch to avoid this?

3AM eastern standard time, ugh, at least it happened on a weekend.

I can probably kick off new jobs and have the finish by Monday, but I want support to tell me that's what I need to do before I wipe out my repositories.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

To the best of my knowledge, you should re-create your jobs and start new backup chain anew:
Gostev wrote:OK, then it makes sense. Unfortunately, in this case indeed recreating the jobs is the only option. There is no way to "fix" this issue once it gets introduced in the backup chain.

I don't think your plan will work, the job will probably fail reporting it cannot find older backup files. You are better of starting clean, and it will require the same disk space as your plan above anyway.
On top of that, please wait till your engineer investigates job debug logs and finds out the reason for this issue.
JoshRountree
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Josh Rountree

Post by JoshRountree »

My support engineer told me to run manual active full.

-I upgrade all my Veeam server/transports to the latest release (I haven't applied patches yet, easiest upgrade so far!)

-I recreated and re-ran all my jobs that were affected. Kind of sucked to start with an active full, but it happened on a weekend, and it's nice to know I can do it under 24 hours if need be.

My biggest concern is my jobs at the DR location. All these jobs were created on 6.0, will they eventually fail? What is the failure scenario? I wish Gostev had given us a heads in his "The Word From Gostev" - I could have planned a job recreate.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The issue might not show up in your environment. However, to be on the safe side, you can plan to recreate your jobs to avoid the particular issue that was fixed back in 6.5 (and should not appear on newly created jobs).
alexh
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex McBride

Post by alexh »

Hi Guys,

I just logged a call about this earlier today - we've been seeing this error message a bit recently, and it has now occurred on a job create in v8.0 patch 1. have there been any other reports of this issue cropping up again recently?

My case ID for reference: 00821228.
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit »

I got the same issue here. Never seen this issue before. Veeam 8 patch 1.
2015-03-17 23:36:31 :: Processing xxxx Error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point.
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{2aa5773f-3955-4acf-94b4-54284c1bc327}]. CHMOD mask: [0].
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.
\Masonit
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you have the same issue, please post your case ID, so we could take a look at the logs. Thanks!
spf62
Enthusiast
Full Name: Steve Fritsch

Post by spf62 »

We are also seeing this after ver 8 patch 1. We have a support call this morning. I will post findings
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Post by masonit » 1 person likes this post

Vitaliy S. wrote:If you have the same issue, please post your case ID, so we could take a look at the logs. Thanks!
Case 00834614.

\Masonit
Mirija
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Aina Mirija

[MERGED] can I recreate summary.xml?

Post by Mirija »

Hi,

I have restore fail with error "There is no FIB [summary.xml] in specified restore point"
I'm trying to restore from a archived vbk and vbm files (these files were restored from a tape)
Question: Where is summary.xml stored? Can I recreate this file from the vbk?

Case support is opened with ID #00847096 but need some tips.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Does the restore job fail for other restore points as well? Please continue working with our support team on this issue, as I'm not aware about ways of recreating this missing file.
volnation
Novice
Full Name: sunshine baines

Post by volnation »

We are getting the same error. What gives? Is support not able to resolve this issue by now?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

As is with every issue, the root cause might differ and be specific to particular environment. Thus, it's always advisable to work with support team directly on technical issues.

By the way, have you already opened a support ticket?

Thanks.
meilicke
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott Meilicke

Post by meilicke »

When I have had this issue in the past on backup copy jobs, the fix has always been to:

1. Run a manual full on the backup job (does not help for us).
2. Create a new backup copy job. - either rename the current archives (not possible for us, as we are using data domain via boost), or rename the job (more to it than that, I have details if you want them).

After working with support, we could not find a smoking gun. I am attributing this to possibly being a WAN connection that is briefly interrupted, but don't really know. It has been really frustrating, as reseeding the backup copy takes weeks for some jobs, and the WAN Accelerators don't work all that well for us in our environment. The whole getting backups offsite has been the only gotcha in an otherwise excellent product. Keep in mind I am comparing this to Avamar and Data Domain replication, which are strong points for these products.

There is no perfect backup/recovery solution. Only a series of compromises.

Scott
meilicke
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Scott Meilicke

Post by meilicke »

Ahh!! I see you are trying this on a restore, I was reading too fast. That is a bigger problem. Hopefully support will sort you out! Please post back when you have a solution.
rcabrera
Lurker
Full Name: Robert Cabrera

Post by rcabrera »

Case # 00953559

Finally making good progress with Veeam 8.0.0.2030 having local VMware VM backup job run successfully with forward forever incremental and BCJ using WAN Accelerators successfully everyday! Attempting now to insert the surebackup job in between for verification of LBJ. The Surebackup job fails with There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point.

6/25/2015 2:11:02 PM Error <servername> - Publishing
6/25/2015 2:11:03 PM Error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point.
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{3ec51046-11d3-4d9a-993f-4720e0fd1332}]. CHMOD mask: [0].

6/25/2015 2:11:07 PM Error: There is no FIB [summary.xml] in the specified restore point.
Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{3ec51046-11d3-4d9a-993f-4720e0fd1332}]. CHMOD mask: [0].

From what I have discovered reading previous references that starting another full backup was the only solution. Loosing previous backup chain would be a very negative impact as we have struggled to get to where we are for over 4 months! reseeding BCJ at DATA center would also be very painful. Any words of wisdom here would be greatly appreciated!