Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Error: "Unable to copy the backup: some backup files are located on an unavailable scale-out repository extent"

Post by dcolpitts »

Before I open a ticket, has anyone else seen this error with build 11.0.1.1261 P20220302?

"Unable to copy the backup: some backup files are located on an unavailable scale-out repository extent"

It's a backup copy job from a StoreOnce 3620 to a remote StoreOnce VSA (over a 100Mbps BOVPN), both running StoreOnce 4.3.2. Both are setup as standalone Catalyst stores, and Scale-Out repos have NEVER been configured on this site. The error comes and goes. It may occur for a few days and suddenly disappear allowing backup copies to complete, and then just comes back. Reboots of everything doesn't seem to matter.

dcc
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2274 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Error: "Unable to copy the backup: some backup files are located on an unavailable scale-out repository extent"

Post by Mildur »

Hi dcc

Sounds unexpected. I suggest opening a support case.
Logs needs to be checked.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
JeroenL
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeroen Leeflang

Re: Error: "Unable to copy the backup: some backup files are located on an unavailable scale-out repository extent"

Post by JeroenL »

We are running build 11.0.1.1261 P20220302 for a long time now.

After issues starting two weeks ago I now see the same errors with a single Catalyst Copy job.
We have two SOBRs with extends from multiple StoreOnce 3640 units.
All extends are online, but still this error is reported with Catalyst Copy job.

Looking at the backups nscreeview the repository reports lots of files missing. Red exclamation marks next to VM objects.
Already performed a rescan on the target SOBR. This doesn't solve the issue.
Also executed a delete on missing/corrupted items and a forget on missing/corrupted items.

Veeam case# 05823415
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jeroen

Thanks for the case number. Unfortunately we didn't get a case number from Dean.
So I cannot check how it was resolved in his case. I suggest giving our support team some time to fully analyze the situation from your environment.
If you have concerns about how the case goes, please also consider to use our Talk to a Manager option: https://www.veeam.com/kb2320

Thanks,
Fabian
Moose
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: H. Pete John

Post by Moose »

was there a resolution to this issue?

interesting we are experiencing the same on one of our backup copy jobs, running 12.0.0.1420 P20230718.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Pete

The solution in the other case was an free space issue with the MSSQL server and a reg key which helped to solve the issue. Unfortunately I cannot provide the key over the forum and it may not help at all in your situation.
Please open a case with our customer support team and let them check the log files. A solution will be provided based on the analyzed log files. Don't forget to share the case number with me.

Best,
Fabian
Moose
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: H. Pete John

Post by Moose »

We have opened a case with Veeam support, Case #06238671.