Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
yastt
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Error when trying to install a new VUL license instead of the existing socket license

Post by yastt »

We have an Essential Enterprise socket license. Recently purchased new Express Essential VUL licenses. Attempting to install a file with a new license results in the error "license sections have incompatible package types". I tried installing both from Enterprise Manager and directly in the console. What could be the cause and how to deal with it?

Veeam's licensing support, unfortunately, only works on weekdays, and it just so happens that the current license will expire tomorrow...

Regards,
Michal
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Error when trying to install a new VUL license instead of the existing socket license

Post by Gostev »

I know exactly what is happening here: the product tries to use both licenses instead of replacing one with another (as it's actually possible for non-Essentials customers to use both Socket and VUL licenses side by side for different workloads). In your case, basically you need to remove your Socket license before installing the VUL license, but there's no button for that. I believe the license can be deleted directly from the registry though. There should be the corresponding value under the Veeam Backup & Replication key, see if you can locate one. Thanks!
yastt
Influencer

Re: Error when trying to install a new VUL license instead of the existing socket license

Post by yastt »

Indeed, removing the old license helped. Thanks a lot for your quick help.
yastt
Influencer

Post by yastt »

I have another problem now. A license has been issued for 50 VUL, however the Veeam server only shows one licensed VUL. In addition, I see a message in Enterprise manager:

License edition: Enterprise Plus
You have exceeded your license limit of 1 instance instances by more than 10. Additional workloads will not be processed.
To avoid service interruptions from future growth, we recommend you deploy a license for at least 40 instances.

Is it possible that this license has been badly generated?
yastt
Influencer

Post by yastt »

I found the cause. It turned out that the second auxiliary NAS backup license was badly generated for 1 instance instead of 50 instances. The problem I described earlier arises immediately after installing it. And this is what I found inside the license file:

[...]
Capacity = 5
Instances = 1
License type = Subscription
Package = Essentials

I am reporting this bug to Veeam support.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Based on the quote, you have been given a capacity-based SKUs license for NAS backup, while you should have been provided with VUL-based one. It does not seem to be a bug with the software, but as a wrong license generation process. So I would start with reaching your sales representative - he or she will be able to clarify licensing-related questions for you.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Right: no bugs there, the product works exactly as intended given the installed license file values.
yastt wrote: Mar 25, 2022 11:46 pmA license has been issued for 50 VUL, however the Veeam server only shows one licensed VUL.
yastt wrote: Mar 26, 2022 12:10 am Capacity = 5
Instances = 1
License type = Subscription
Package = Essentials
A correctly issued 50 VUL license file should have "Instances = 50".