ESXi 6.0 U1b - VM MAC Conflict alarm on Veeam Replicas

VMware specific discussions

ESXi 6.0 U1b - VM MAC Conflict alarm on Veeam Replicas

Veeam Logoby pjahnz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Recently updated our ESXi hosts from 6.0 U1 to 6.0 U1b, now all of our Veeam replicas are showing a VM MAC Conflict alarm in vCenter that won't go away. Confirmed that the MAC addresses on the source and replica VMs are different (checked the properties of the network adapters in vCenter as well as the vmx config files for the VMs). The MAC conflict alarm appears whether using Veeam v8 or v9. Case has been opened with VMware. Has anyone else run into this?
pjahnz
Novice

Liked: never

Re: ESXi 6.0 U1b - VM MAC Conflict alarm on Veeam Replicas

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Same problem here after upgrading one of my customer vcenter from 6.0U1 to 6.0U1b
I simply disable the VM MAC alarm on the alarms definitions
NightBird
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby pjahnz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks, glad to hear I'm not the only one who's come across this. I had considered disabling the alarm, but since it didn't exist 6.0 or 6.0U1, it seemed like a bug in U1b that should be addressed.
pjahnz
Novice

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Before 6.0U1b I don't think the vm mac conflict alarm definition exist as part of default alarms definitions

Will check on a 6.0U1 vcenter
NightBird
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:01 am

I have check on 6.0U1, and this alarm isn't define
NightBird
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:00 pm

pjahnz wrote:Confirmed that the MAC addresses on the source and replica VMs are different (checked the properties of the network adapters in vCenter as well as the vmx config files for the VMs).

When VM replica gets registered, it does have the same MAC address, but then vCenter Server/ESXi host updates it with a new value, that's why you see this alarm being triggered.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby TroyResources » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:00 am

Exact same error, ESXI Hosts in our environment mixture of 5.x and 6.x also mixture of V8 SP3 and V9, so this does really point to some issue with vSphere.
Applied the U1b to overcome issues related to CBT; however all replicas world wide showed VM MAC Conflict alarm.
VMware tech support said issues we related to Veeam; Veeam said this was an VMware issue.
Suffice to say only temporary resolution was to switch alarm off to quell remote administrators flooding my inbox.
This KB did not resolve any issue either http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1024025
Veeam tech support had said, "What you are seeing is behavior by design to be honest. This is given the nature of a replication, as the VMX is cloned, which will contain a duplicate MAC address for a brief moment until it is properly updated in vSphere."

At the end of the day it's slightly disappointing to bug like this appear...
TroyResources
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: TroyResourcesLimited

Veeam Logoby mickeybyte » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 am

I have noticed the same behaviour, however we are running ESXi 5.5. The alarms began when I upgraded my VCenter Appliance to the latest 6.0 build (the previous 6.0 build did not trigger this alarm).

It seems it has nothing to do with the ESXi versions, but with the VCenter version.
mickeybyte
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michiel Peene

Veeam Logoby postict » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:11 am

Same issue when using Surebackup.
You get also MAC conflict warnings and when you check all MAC-addresses there doesn't seems to be any conflict.
postict
Lurker

Full Name: Jan Post

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 am

shades0fblack wrote:Veeam tech support had said, "What you are seeing is behavior by design to be honest. This is given the nature of a replication, as the VMX is cloned, which will contain a duplicate MAC address for a brief moment until it is properly updated in vSphere."

At the end of the day it's slightly disappointing to bug like this appear...

I think the support engineer's answer you've quoted clearly explains this behavior, so I'm not sure why do you still refer as a bug to it. Seems that the latest vSphere update just enables the alarm, which was not defined previously, that's why you started seeing warnings for the events that simply went unnoticed before the update:

NightBird wrote:I have check on 6.0U1, and this alarm isn't define
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby dspjones » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:54 pm 1 person likes this post

Just to throw my experience here as well.... I upgraded vCenter to 6.0 U1B on Thursday (all hosts are still 5.5 update 3). All my replicas now show mac conflict. So it would seem indeed this is a vCenter thing. Not esxi.

So is the correct response to this "problem" to disable that alarm? That doesn't seem like the right thing to do. If vsphere is supposed to update the mac after a few moments but the alarm is still being triggered, it would seem to me that it is indeed a bug. Probably not a Veeam bug, but definitely something Veeam could help inform VMware about with your partner status rather than us lowly users trying to get them to fix this.
dspjones
Enthusiast

Liked: 16 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:19 pm

As a solution to this problem you might want to specify a resolving event for this alarm, so once MAC address is changed, you no longer see this alarm in an opened state. Will try to take a look at our labs to find out what rule/trigger can be specified to resolve this alarm.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby getzjd » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:48 am

Same issue here .. updated vCenter from 5.5 u2 to 6 u1b. MAC address alarms on all replicas
getzjd
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jay

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:46 am

Jay, cab you please check out if you have any event that cab used as a resolving event for this alarm?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby B.F. » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Just noticed this myself after applying the vcenter and vsphere client updates.

I looked quickly and the replica and source VM MAC addresses are NOT the same.

Suggestions other than disabling the alert?

Thanks
B.F.
Expert

Liked: 6 times

Next

Return to VMware vSphere