Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
trafsta
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

ESXi host VMs moved to new vCenter, modern way to update MoRefs?

Post by trafsta »

I know in the past there was an unsupported Veeam migration tool for older versions of Veeam B&R to re-map the MoRef ID #'s for each VM that was moved from one vCenter to another, however, that seems to be gone now as of B&R 12.x... is there another way OTHER than manual SQL table edits of the Veeam DB? I tried looking into the SQL table update method mentioned in another thread, it got very confusing with 300+ entries to update... I can almost guarantee I'd make a mistake along the way doing it that way.

Veeam support told me there is no way to do it any longer, but I wanted to check here just in case there is another unsupported way of doing it... I don't want to start new backup chains as that will cause a huge problem with storage space and backup copy jobs to 3 or 4 other sources (hardened repos, cloud storage, and tape media).

I am on VCSA 8.0.2.00200 Build number 23319993 (latest version out), Veeam B&R is the latest also I believe, 12.1.0.2131.
Sturniolo
Veeam Software
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Andy Sturniolo

Re: ESXi host VMs moved to new vCenter, modern way to update MoRefs?

Post by Sturniolo » 1 person likes this post

Hey @trafsta

Veeam Support is correct, no current supported way at this time.. but i do know there are some unsupported ways going on in the community that are interesting to look at. Here is what i have found so far:

Disclaimer: These are obviously unsupported methods.

Here is one post - vmware-vsphere-f24/manually-updating-mo ... 61851.html

And then also others have looked at ways to do it with powershell - https://github.com/marcnl/powershell/bl ... manual.txt
trafsta
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Re: ESXi host VMs moved to new vCenter, modern way to update MoRefs?

Post by trafsta »

Thanks @sturniolo. Yes I tried the first post you had in a test environment, it was too confusing to go through with it in the end.
I haven't seen the one you posted from github, thanks! I'll look at that in more detail tomorrow. It looks promising since it is for Veeam B&R 12.1. Not sure how my searches this past weekend didn't find that one!