Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Exchange server VM - snapshots not being removed

Post by TommyB »

Hi,

I'm using VEEAM for roughly 8 months now to backup 6 virtual machines including an Exchange 2010 machine and suddenly I have problems that snapshots are not removed after the backup.

Probably this is related to changing my backup scheme from chained backups to backup-all-VMs-at-the-same-time-and-let-veeam-do-the-job?

So I opened a support case with VMWare and guess what - the VMWare support engineer told me that it is a not-so-good idea to use snapshotting to backup a running Exchange or SQL Server.

I will now set up the Exchange job to run at a different time as all the other jobs - so if this is load related this might fix the problem?

Any opinions on that?

Thomas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange server VM - snapshots not being removed

Post by foggy »

TommyB wrote:So I opened a support case with VMWare and guess what - the VMWare support engineer told me that it is a not-so-good idea to use snapshotting to backup a running Exchange or SQL Server.
Most likely he was referring to the fact that snapshot based Exchange backup is not supported by Microsoft. However, as long as you use an Exchange-aware VSS-based application that guarantees the required application consistency, you're ok.
TommyB wrote:I will now set up the Exchange job to run at a different time as all the other jobs - so if this is load related this might fix the problem?
I would recommend to also contact our technical support for closer investigation of the leftover snapshot reasons.
TommyB
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Thomas Braun

Re: Exchange server VM - snapshots not being removed

Post by TommyB »

Just as an update - after moving the Exchange Job away from the other VMs, the left over snapshots vanished and everything seems to be back to normal.

I will keep an eye on this.