Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KOPFteam
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Florian Pürner

Excluded Oracle Databese - Why?

Post by KOPFteam »

Hi all,

I opened a support call for this a few months ago and I got the info that I can safely ignore this message, but I'm still scared:

I've installed Veeam B&R Standard with the latest patches.
I'm replicating a Windows 2008R2 VM (running on VMware 5.5). Application aware processing (copy only) is active in the job.
ORACLE 11g is running with 4 databases on this VM. Archive mode in Oracle is not enabled.
"vssadmin list writers" gives me four VSS Writers (one for each DB) with "no error"
Booting the Replica with no network adapter connected gives me no errors and Oracle seems to be fine
Veeam reports a green success for each replication

But:

Veeam gives me this line (with a green check) on each replication
11.09.2015 19:20:51 :: Excluded Oracle databases: Database AM83/AM83.WORLD'; Database BP71/BP71.WORLD'; Database Test71/TEST71.WORLD'; Database Test83/TEST83.WORLD';
I've learned that this has something to do with logfile processing, but I'm still scared! These DBs are mission critical and that's why I hate to get messages like that during backup.
What is the problem that Veeam has with these Oracle DBs?

Thanks,
Florian

11.09.2015 19:20:51 :: Excluded Oracle databases: Database AM83/AM83.WORLD'; Database BP71/BP71.WORLD'; Database Test71/TEST71.WORLD'; Database Test83/TEST83.WORLD';
Loving (and fighting with) Veeam for over a decade!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Excluded Oracle Databese - Why?

Post by Gostev »

Hi. As far as I remember, this message means that our application-aware processing did not touch these databases, because they do not meet the requirements for VSS processing. Thanks!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Excluded Oracle Databese - Why?

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

KOPFteam wrote:Archive mode in Oracle is not enabled.
Veeam uses VSS to take volume based snapshots and the Oracle VSS writer requires archive log mode to be enabled to be able to put a database into hot backup mode. Since you're databases are not using archive log mode, those databases are skipped from the VSS freeze process. The DB will still be backed up in crash consistent mode and, assuming the VM contains all Oracle data (db files, control files, and online redo logs), then Oracle will simply perform automatic media recovery using the online redo logs when the VM is restored.