Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ixoni
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Barry Hohstadt

Excluding Disks Clarification

Post by ixoni »

Hello group, I am needing to clarify the options for restoring a VM that has some disks excluded from backup.
This particular VM is a file server and has a couple of disks with about 30 TB of data. The data on these disks is being backed up by another product, our University's Tivoli platform so we can take advantage of the inexpensive storage and other features. So I am only backing up the system disk. This VM is on a VxRail cluster.
My question: If I do not check "Remove excluded disks from VM configuraion," does this man that if I do a restore of the full VM to the original location on the cluster, I will still see these excluded disks assuming they are intact? But if those disks were missing or corrupt, then the VM would not start?

If I did check "Remove excluded disks from VM configuraion," Then the restored VM would not know about those disks under any circumstance, and the disks would need to be re-created and then the data restored. Are my assumptions correct?
Thanks!
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Excluding Disks Clarification

Post by skrause »

If you remove the disks from configuration, the .vmdk files will still be present on the datastore and you can re-mount them by "add an existing hard disk" in the VMware UI after restoring the system disk backup.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect