Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rogerdu
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Roger Dufour

Failed to create snapshot for LUN

Post by rogerdu »

Failed to prepare VM for processing from storage snapshot, failing over to using VM snapshot.
2017-10-06 2:23:00 PM :: Failed to create snapshot for LUN <enter LUN name here> Details: Clone operation failed to start: Device busy..

I'm getting this error while using Veeam 9.5.1038. I get this error when performing a replication. The History behind this is as such:
- previous to today, I had 1 Veeam backup server, 2 repositories (one each at prod and remote site) and 2 NetApp storage systems (with appropriate FlexClone licenses)
- I installed the same software on a new server at the remote site (which has a few systems to backup locally) as a backup server
- I backed up the database from the prod site, moved it over and restored it onto the remote site.
- the idea is to have a backup server at each site, but have the replication jobs "pull" the data across so the remote site is able to manage its failover capabilities. the same is true for the prod server managing the remote server's replication. it pulls from the remote site (no errors)
- Backups (at the local site) and all backup copies (local and remote) are handled by the local system (ie Prod creates backups, and backup copies locally and pushes a copy to the remote). This is a 2 way thing.

The error only occurs when the remote system tries to orchestrate a snapshot on the prod netapp.

Any suggestions?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Failed to create snapshot for LUN

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Roger,
thank you.

in the end the second Backup & Replication Server can not create a snapshot on the primary side. So the question is can one of the proxies controlled of this Backup & Replication Server access the storage system? Potentially add the primary site proxy to the second side Backup & Replication Server.

Our support can help here as well. You can open a ticket at the support site.
To help here in the forum a bit more, we need to know a bit more from the second Backup & Replication server and Proxy setup.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failed to create snapshot for LUN

Post by foggy »

Hi Roger, this could be a known issue we have a hotfix for. Please contact technical support and refer to issue #110708. Thanks.