Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jimerb
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Failed to download disk VDDK async operation error

Post by jimerb »

Case 04979608

For some reason this error just started happening. It was working fine and no changes were made. It's all on a VMWARE host.
Error: VDDK async operation error: 1. Value: 0x0000000000000001 Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: VDDK async operation error: 1. Value: 0x0000000000000001 Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [2004]. Failed to download disk 'WIN2019-STD-flat.vmdk'.
I tried: Rebooting the VM's and the host cluster. I tried restarting the VMWare services on the virtual server that's failing. I also checked and the backup disk has plenty of free space on it.

Where should I be looking? Hoping you can keep it simple. I'm not that advanced with this.
Running:
Veeam backup and replication 11.0.1.1261
EXSI 7.0.0 (Build 16324942)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed to download disk VDDK async operation error

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
Where should I be looking?
except if you are an expert with Veeam debug log analysis, I recommend to continue working with support. It makes no sense to speculate on that kind of error message on a forum.

The case description says that you use V10. Maybe an upgrade to V11 helps. It also looks like logs are missing in the case. That means support will not be able to help you. Support can only help if you upload logs https://www.veeam.com/kb1832

Best regards,
Hannes
broyuken
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by broyuken »

I opened case 05847150 for this issue but I wanted to follow up here as well. Were you able to find a resolution?

It looks like veeam has a bug where it is looking for a vmdk file that does not exist.

In my case, the error points to a Unifi Network Application2-flat.vmdk, however that is not the name of my disk. The disk is called Unifi Network Application2.vmdk without the -flat. How can I get veeam to look at the correct disk name?

1/30/2023 5:08:55 PM :: Error: VDDK async operation error: 1. Value: 0x0000000000000001
Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vddkConnSpec>];
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: VDDK async operation error: 1. Value: 0x0000000000000001
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [5915].
Failed to download disk 'Unifi Network Application2-flat.vmdk'.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

While support should find the real reason in the logs, this issue looks like an issue with the VM configuration. VMware tells us, that there is a disk, but there seems to be no disk. But that's just a guess. As I said before, that's something support needs to check.

Best regards,
Hannes
broyuken
Lurker

Post by broyuken »

It looks like the vmdk was like a zip file and had the -2 file inside of it? I'm not sure, but I ended up rebuilding the wifi controller on a new vm and it backs up fine now.
dawnlsi
Lurker

Post by dawnlsi »

HannesK wrote: Aug 23, 2021 5:26 am Hello,

except if you are an expert with Veeam debug log analysis, I recommend to continue working with support. It makes no sense to speculate on that kind of error message on a forum.

The case description says that you use V10. Maybe an upgrade to V11 helps. It also looks like logs are missing in the case. That means support will not be able to help you. Support can only help if you upload logs https://www.veeam.com/kb1832

Best regards,
Hannes
I have been trying to get support on this issue with no success. They keep closing my case and I when I try to talk to a manager I get errors when trying to submit. This is a critical issue for my company and need support asap. Can someone please contact me thru email?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

VDDK error 1 is usually a snapshot consolidation issue. I would go to the VM, create a new snapshot and then select consolidate all snapshots (remove all snapshots) for the VM. Read and follow this one before you do anything: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002310
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Regarding support, I it sounds like you are using our community edition, which get best-effort support only. If you VMs are critical, please consider to upgrade to Veeam Essentials. It is not that much but gives you production support.
Last edited by HannesK on Mar 04, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: premium support vs production support