Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
akdaa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: akdaa

Failed to open VDDK disk - SQL VM

Post by akdaa »

Hi guys,
I'm trying to backup one VM which has MS SQL services installed on it (Windows Server 2019, build 1809), with the following error:
Processing PRDaz-SQLDB Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[LUN_SQLaz] PRDaz-SQLDB/PRDaz-SQLDB.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] ) Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vc];Port: 443;Login: [d\admin];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-66437];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-81816];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors: Failed to open disk for read. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Support ID ticket for this case is #04245916

I'm using Veeam Backup & Replication 10 Enteprise edition with Perpetual licence.

Thank you in advance!
BR, Dragan
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Failed to open VDDK disk - SQL VM

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Dragan,
I see support has picked your case.
Meanwhile, can you please check vCenter credentials permissions according to KB1937, I can see VDDK Error 3014 all over SQL machine log and it indicates lack of required permissions on the account you used when adding vCenter to Veeam console under Backup Infrastructure tab. Maybe try vCenter global admin account for the sake of test?
/Thanks!
akdaa
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: akdaa

Post by akdaa »

Hi Egor,

actuzally the link you've sent hasn't resolved issues. It only multiplied them since after I've placed all proper permissions on domain account used for backup purpose, all backup jobs stopped working.
After that, we've come up to solution internally that this user account only needed to be added to vSphere local Administrators group and voila! I've re-enabled jobs and everything started working.

Nevertheless, thanks for your quick answer and provided help!

Dragan
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update, glad it sorted out!
/Cheers!