Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Failure Email Notifications for SQL Transaction Log Backups

Post by HJAdams123 »

Hello and Good Day Veeam Community...

My organization has recently started adding SQL server backups to our various installations with Veeam. Previously, the SQL DBA's handled backups natively with SSMS. What we are noticing as we ramp up the number of SQL servers we are backing up, we are getting Failure Notifications associated with Transaction Log Backups, but the reason can be as simple as the fact there there has been a new database added to the SQL server since the last backup, so no log backup can be performed until after the next backup. That is an obvious situation, and is going to happen daily. There can be three SQL servers in the job, and only one of them can have this problem, and we get emailed as a failure. And if the transaction log backup interval is frequent, like an hour, that means you get the failure email every hour until the next backup occurs. Is there anyway to change this behavior? In my opinion, this situation should not result in a failure email for the transaction log backup. It should be a warning, and, it should only warn once per database during the life of the transaction log backup session. Opinions? Any way to make it behave this way? I don't want to turn off notifications for transaction log backups, I still want to be aware of what's going on, just not spammed for this particular issue....
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Failure Email Notifications for SQL Transaction Log Backups

Post by PetrM »

Hi Harold,

It's a good question actually, I never tested this specific scenario. I think we should not try to run log backups for databases that were not processed by image-level job. Obviously, it makes sense to think about possible enhancements in future releases. We'll discuss possible options internally, thanks for paying our attention to this case.

Thanks!
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 »

PetrM, how do I configure a job to not attempt to do a transaction log backup of a database until a image level backup has been created that contains the database?

Edit: Or were you saying the enhancement to Veeam should be not to attempt to do a transaction log backup until the database has appeared in an image level backup? If that is what you meant, then yes, I agree that would be a good change and will solve the notifications problem I described above....
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

HJAdams123 wrote:Or were you saying the enhancement to Veeam should be not to attempt to do a transaction log backup until the database has appeared in an image level backup?
Yes, this one.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

@HJAdams123 May I ask you to open a support request? I discussed this issue with our QA team and looks like the behavior you're seeing is not normal. The log backup job must not take into account databases that are added after image-level backup run. Also, please share a support case ID so that I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks!
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 »

Done, Case #05271714
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 »

And PetrM, I am not sure if QA feels this way because it was identified and fixed recently, so full disclosure, I am on Veeam B&R version 10.0.1.4854 P20210609
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Let's upgrade to the recent version and see if the issue persists?

Thanks!
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 »

PetrM, is there a documented defect that matches my issue that was fixed in version 11? I am going to upgrade eventually, but I don't want to upgrade now just to be upgrading. If you know this was an issue in v10, and it was fixed in v11, then I will upgrade right away....
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Harold,

I didn't manage to find a documented issue in our internal system, but the problem you've encountered might be a consequence of another problem which is fixed in the recent version. I suggest to ask our support team to check whether upgrade can help or not in your specific case. However, I always recommend to be up-to-date as every new release introduces a lot of enhancements in all parts of the product including general performance and business-logic optimizations.

Thanks!
HJAdams123
Enthusiast

Post by HJAdams123 » 1 person likes this post

Good Day PetrM...

So I elected to upgrade one of my Veeam V&R instances to version 11a last week, and can confirm the problem continues to happen. I will be updating the case with this information