Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directory

VMware specific discussions

Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directory

Veeam Logoby dbr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 am

Hi folks,

while I was collecting some logs for support via V&R Console running on my laptop I noticed that the system partition of our Veeam backup server ran out of space. After checking the Veeam server I noticed that Veeam obviously caches data in temp folder of the account that is running the backup service (e.g. C:\Users\veeam_svc\AppData\Local\Temp\VeeamLogs_2139896eeaee4d4f9fb10fbf615d109f\2017-04-10T101833_VeeamBackupLogs) when collecting log files. If I collect log files via a console running on Backup Server directly it is not cached in temp folder but rather cached in the log directory directly. I couldn't find any hint in documentation or forum that log is cached in service account temp folder when not using console on backup server.

Ok, you should always have enough free space on system partition but we have quite extensive logs and I wouldn't have expected that creating logs files fills up a disk with serveral gigs of free space.

I would suggest a hint when collecting log files via remote console (perhaps when starting log collection dialog) and/or redirect log caching via reg key.

Daniel
dbr
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Re: Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directo

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:36 am

You can use hints provided in this KB article to change log collection directory, is that something you're looking for?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 971 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request - Change temporary log retrieval directo

Veeam Logoby dbr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:02 pm

No, I know these reg keys but I guess they are for logs in a running environment only. Temp folder in service user profile is used when collecting support logs via remote console. We use a script to delete logs to keep the amount of logs small instead of setting regs because the provided settings don't fit our needs. That given the overall amount of logs isn't much high anymore but still severals gigs. Workaround would be only collecting support logs via local console on Veeam server cause logs are cached in a subfolder of the directory provided as target directory in support information dialog (which can be on a different drive) instead of using service account temp folder on system drive. And a hint in support information dialog or a reg key to redirect log collection in case of using remote console would be nice...
dbr
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Return to VMware vSphere