Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Feature Request: Return warning (not failure) when excluded VM is removed from cluster

Post by mikeely »

We did a bunch of cleanup to our ESX clusters yesterday and one of the VMs removed was on the exclude list for a backup job. This job then returned failure, complaining about the missing VM. My personal belief is that if the VM was excluded from a backup run but no longer exists Veeam should warn but not mark the backup job as failed.

Thoughts?
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request: Return warning (not failure) when excluded VM is removed from cluster

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Mike,

Sounds legit. I will discuss that behavior with QA.

/Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request: Return warning (not failure) when excluded VM is removed from cluster

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings, Mike.

I have ran some tests of your case and could not reproduce it - job ends green like normal, with information message in the log about excludes, even if excluded VMs are not present in virtual infrastructure anymore.
Which VBR build are you running in your infrastructure and can you please specify exact error message text?

/Thanks!