Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Manu80
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Manu80

Feature Request - Use nbd proxy instead always use hotadd

Post by Manu80 » 1 person likes this post

Hi all,
I see particular behavior on specific Infrastructure.
The infrastructure has multiple vmware cluster and Veeam Infrastructure has multiple Virtual (VM) Veeam Proxy and Physical Veeam Proxy.

If I set automatic proxy selection on the backup job involved, Veeam try to understand if are possible to use proxy with hotadd, and if are available, use only these proxy for now and the future.
If proxy with hotadd are unavailable for other tasks for many hours, this job always wait for use it.

Same behavior if I set multiple proxy manually on the job where some proxy use hotadd and some NBD.

My question are: why if I have many moments where proxy with hotadd are unavailable for many hours (because used for processing other tasks/job), Veeam not use others proxy with NBD ?

With this behavior for many jobs I wait many hours for execute jobs, but if Veeam use other proxy with NBD, on few minutes backup are executed.

Ok yes, hotadd perform better as compared to NBD, but why force to use always hotadd and not

And, for example, if tomorrow have a big problem with all virtual proxy that use hotadd, we need to edit manually jobs for use only proxy with NBD because Veeam not use proxy with NBD if proxy with hotadd are present on veeam environment.

I open a support case for this, and confirm the above: Veeam use best proxy available

I would like to add this as a feature request, for example, if proxy with hotadd are unavailable or used for some time, not wait hours but after few minutes or not too much, try to use another proxy with NBD.

Regards
Manu
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Feature Request - Use nbd proxy instead always use hotadd

Post by Mildur »

Hi Manu

We get this request from time to time. I am aware of the limitation. It still exists in v12.
I will add your vote as +1 to the open feature request.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software