Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ToddD
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Todd Dresser

Feature Request - Virtual Lab Re-IP Ability

Post by ToddD »

I tried to look through the forum posts to see if this is has already been suggested, so apologies if this is a duplicate. To start, I think Virtual Lab is a great tool to test out our backups and I enjoy the thought that has gone into the design and ease of use. One feature that I feel is missing when trying to validate our replication jobs with SureReplica is the ability to perform the "Re-IP" step. I opened up a Veeam support case (06054262) to validate I wasn't missing it, but they confirmed it is not a feature and recommended that I submit a feature request, so here I am.

The reason I feel this should be a feature is by the nature of SureReplica's purpose, it is there to validate if I activate my replicated VMs that the applications will function correctly. As part of our Veeam replication jobs, we have enabled the "Network remapping" and "Replica re-IP" options because our DR environment uses different subnets. Changing the IP address of a production server can cause an adverse effect to your applications depending on how they were setup, so testing the IP change is critical in our DR validation. It seems odd to me that SureReplica cannot test everything that the Veeam replication job is doing, especially since the functionality already exists in Veeam,that is why I suggest this as a feature request.

A simple analogy, if you were a chef preparing for a baking competition, you would practice your recipe with the same steps and ingredients before the big day. On that big day, you wouldn't introduce new ingredients to your recipe and hope everything is going to turn out the same way that you practiced. So why would I practice my DR process without using all of the same steps I would use on DR day?

Thank you for your review of this feature request.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request - Virtual Lab Re-IP Ability

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, the request makes sense / is clear.

As of today, the Veeam Disaster Recovery Orchestrator allows such functionality.

Best regards,
Hannes
ToddD
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Todd Dresser

Re: Feature Request - Virtual Lab Re-IP Ability

Post by ToddD »

Thanks Hannes, I will check out Veeam DR Orchestrator too