Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
david.brunner
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Brunner

File Backup Network Traffic rule not being applied

Post by david.brunner »

Dear community members,

I am trying to throttle the bandwith of a regular "File Backup" job, which does not to apply.

Backup server is a physical Windows Server 2016 with 4x1GB Ethernet, bundled in a Microsoft Network Team
Software is Veeam B&R V11 (current)

The job is set for our virtual ERP system, which is a VM on vsphere 7.0.2. The ESXi Host also has 8x1GB Ethernet NICs
Therefore, only 1Gbit bandwith is maximum

The job is a "file Backup" job and does a backup of \\ERPservername.domain.local\ERP-system

I am trying to do a hourly backup of the ERP software (roughly 80GB). The transferred data (changed amount) is roghly 4GB-8GB,
If I take a look at the last Job statistics. The duration is roughly 10-15 Minutes

While backup is running, it is using 100% of network and the users are complaining, that the access is slow.

So I tried to setup a Network Traffic rule for Source = IP of VM to Target = IP of Veeam Server. Setting it throttle to 500 Mbps (from the maximum of 1000 Mbps) and then I specified a time period = our business hours

But still - it is using 100% network bandwith

Sorry, I seem to be unable to set this seemingly simple thing right...
Any advice?

best regards,
David
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: File Backup Network Traffic rule not being applied

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Bandwidth throttling works only between Veeam Transport components. As we can not control the source in this case there is no good way to throttle.
As well the idea for the backup is that you do backups as fast as possible.

When you add the share you can define the IO impact in a setting.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Maybe tis helps in your case.

From what you have shared, I think to backup an ERP system in open state without consistency and on file level is a bad idea.
Can you please explain why you do this instead of performing an immage level backup of the ERP system VM?
david.brunner
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Brunner

Post by david.brunner »

Hello Andreas (from Austria to Germany :) )

Thanks for the hint! It was not clear for me, that Network traffic rule cannot apply here. Then I will remove it again

Our ERP Vendor (it is a smaller company) leaves backup method to the customer.
They wrote "Als komplettes Backup sehe ich das Kopieren des gesamten [ERP-SYSTEM-NAME] Ordners." (As full backup I see a copying the complete Folder of [ERP System Name]

Since years, the backup has been like this. previously, when the server was bare-metal, we also did a Veeam Agent backup.
Now it is a VM and is weekly fully backuped via VMWare Backup Job. And additionally this File Backup

Regarding the I/O Control:
I already looked up that setting and set it to "lowest impact" (the furthest left-hand-side)

I doubt it makes sense to run a complete VMWare Backup Job (the VM itself has much more data besides the Erp System folder) periodically

Ideally would be to make an extra network just for backup, but the infrastructure I have here is not ready yet.

If it is not working out, I would make a robocopy or BITS script, which runs in background mode on lowest utilization.

best regards,
David
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

I think I would place the data on a separate disk within the VM and backup this disk together with the OS disk in a VM backup job.
As ERP systems touching their files heavily a file backup is not that efficient compared with a block level incremental forever backup.