Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
EdSeibert3
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed Seibert

File Inclusions Not working application aware processing

Post by EdSeibert3 »

First post from a new Veeam user! We're trying to backup vm's and include only certain drive letters (C:\,D:\) and not back up anything else under the VM. We're able to check application aware processing and select the includes underneath however it still backs up the entire VM. We're able to EXCLUDE the drives we don't want (L:\,M:\) and it works correctly.

We've tried C:\, C:, C:\*, C:\*.*

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: File Inclusions Not working application aware processing

Post by veremin »

Have you explicitly excluded other disks or not?
A VM has several volumes: C:\, D:\ and E:\. You want to include to the backup only the D:\Documents folder. If you add the D:\Documents folder to the list of inclusions, Veeam Backup & Replication will back up the following data:

D:\Documents folder
Whole content of C:\ and E:\ volumes

To include only the D:\Documents folder to the backup, you must add the D:\Documents folder to the list of inclusions and, additionally, exclude unnecessary disks (that contain C:\ and D:\ volumes) at the Virtual Machines step of the wizard. For more information, see Step 4. Exclude Objects from Backup Job.
EdSeibert3
Novice

Post by EdSeibert3 »

We have excluded the other drives (by letter) successfully.
EdSeibert3
Novice

Post by EdSeibert3 »

I can understand that this could be done via including only the isci drives that are needed. However it would be much easier if the feature existed that let me choose which drive letters to back up. This would mike our lives much easier as we could do it from the group level down.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Do you mean the ability to specify disks for the group of VMs rather than configuring exclusions for each of them? Please note that you can select disks for several VMs (or for the entire container) at the Virtual Machines step of the job wizard.
EdSeibert3
Novice

Post by EdSeibert3 »

I understand that i can select the individual disks for the VM's however this would be troublesome while selecting on 300+ servers :). It would be much easier to apply the drive letter across all of them.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You can select all of them (or the container all of them reside in) and select disks to backup. I agree that specifying the explicit drive letter would be more obvious.