Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

file system activity analysis and guest indexing

Post by jmc »

Hello everyone,

I have a question about "file system activity analysis".

to use this feature i have to enable guest file indexing. but since i have backup jobs that contain many different vm's regarding operating system and credentials. i would like to know if i can only store the correct credentials for certain vm's and leave all other vm's on default, which corresponds to dummy credentials. these then have an incorrect password and the guest indexing would fail. or does it make more sense to create a separate job for these special vm's?

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: file system activity analysis and guest indexing

Post by Gostev »

Hello, you can always configure credentials per machine in the advanced guest indexing settings. Or disable indexing for some machines altogether. All the flexibility you may ever need is there.
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hi gostev,

that's right. i have disabled all other vm's i don't want to index for linux and windows. however, i still have to enter credentials and therefore i always get the fails during the test. or is this only the case in the test and only the non-disabled ones are used during the run?

thanks
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct, the top-level credentials will be used for all machines without their own credentials specified. And backup job should not attempt to connect to machines for which the indexing and application-aware processing are explicitly disabled. It would be a bug if it still tries to connect to a guest OS when there's nothing to do!
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

yepp, that's it. i will see it tomorrow after nightly backup. i will come back with results :-)

jeff
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

Yes, only the activated will be touched. but the test takes all.