Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
itteam@hctl.hk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Lam

File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified datastore>

Post by itteam@hctl.hk »

Hi all
My client are using backup exec and everything work fine but he want to change veeam backup recently.
After I set up the veeam for him and try to run the backup job, it display the captioned error said cannot create the snapshot. My client are using esxi 5.1 and veeam backup v9.5.
I had reading some KB about this error and found out 2 reason to cause this error,
1. vm datastore had not enough space, need to change the location of the snapshot (my client had 3 file server and stored at 2 datastore, both of them also have over 1.2TB space)
2. Maximum size less overhead should be less than 2032GB (one of the file server dise size is 2047.87GB, but how come backup exec can do it if this is a limit ?) I had tried to clear all snapshot and reboot the server, but same error. Any idea what should I do ?

Other error had appear at one of the db server, Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown..

support case id: # 05481500
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified datastore>

Post by foggy »

1. There needs to be enough space to hold a VMDK snapshot keeping in mind it could grow up the the entire disk size. What are the VM disks in question?
2. What backup type is used with Backup Exec: image-based or file-level?
itteam@hctl.hk
Novice

Re: File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified datastore>

Post by itteam@hctl.hk »

Hi foggy

Thx for your replying.

1. I will go to client office today and get all his datastore storage, disk, version and block size info
2. Can it be both ? I just create a job and use guest processing to index, so it is image + file - level ?
itteam@hctl.hk
Novice

Post by itteam@hctl.hk »

foggy wrote: Jun 13, 2022 4:16 pm 1. There needs to be enough space to hold a VMDK snapshot keeping in mind it could grow up the the entire disk size. What are the VM disks in question?
2. What backup type is used with Backup Exec: image-based or file-level?
If I can create a snapshot manually in his all failed VM, is it means I can excule to change the default location of snapshot ? Beacuse I am afraid to config his VM vmx file, never do it before and it cause the down time, worry about to get any mistake to effect his file server.
itteam@hctl.hk
Novice

Post by itteam@hctl.hk »

Dear All

I am now at my client office, all failed VMs detail as below, tried create snapshot at vsphere but get same error, seems related to not enough space. Client do not have other larger datastore, reset of the other datastore just have 300-500GB space. Is it possible to use agent as a phyiscal server to backup ? Because my client have a local mail archive server, storage 4.2TB, using agent just some warning but seems work fine.

Computer Name Type Disk 1 Disk 2 Disk 3 Disk 4 Disk 5 DataStore
swfs11 File Server 80GB 2 TB File-DS-01
swfs08 File Server 200GB 2 TB 1 TB File-DS-01
swfs03 File Server 60 GB 1 TB 1 TB 1 TB 300 GB File-DS-02
swexmbx03 Exchange 300 GB 2 TB File-DS-02
swexmbx04 Exchange 200 GB 2 TB Exchange2013-DS-01

DataStore Name Capacity Provisioned Space Free Space
File-DS-01 6 TB 6.4 TB 1.21 TB
File-DS-02 7 TB 6.58 TB 1.18 TB
Exchange2013-DS-01 3 TB 2.42 TB 634.96 GB

Only swfs03 can create snapshot but still in error when 99% finished, some error and warning display as below
Failed to index guest file system. VSSControl: index fail
Hard disk 2 (1024GB) 55.2GB read at 36MB/s [CBT]
Hard disk 3 ....same as above...................[CBT]
Error: Operation was canceled by user ITADMIN\Administrator <----my veeam server local administrator

One of the sql db server display error as below
Hard disk 2 ....same as above..................[CBT]
Hard disk 1 ....same as above..................[CBT]
Error: Exception of type 'Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException' was thrown.
itteam@hctl.hk
Novice

Post by itteam@hctl.hk »

Updating...

I tried to use windiws agent to backup swfs11 which failed before via vm backup.
Job can run but get error again.

6/14/2022 1:37:28 PM :: Error: Invalid packet size. Payload size: [2836398080]. Allocation size: [1048832]
Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [82605].
Failed to download disk.
write: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Kindly, continue working the support team, as we cannot assist investigate this kind of issues via forum correspondence. Thanks!
GregorS
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Gregor Smerke

Post by GregorS »

File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore <unspecified datastore>
My client are using esxi 5.1
I bet you have datastores with VMFS-5 or lower version. Have a deep look at Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore (1003565), "VMFS-5 Size Limitations".