FLR doesn't work on a linux machine with GIT repo / symlinks

VMware specific discussions

Re: FLR doesn't work on a linux machine with GIT repo / syml

Veeam Logoby danielch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:04 pm

I opened a case with support and they informed me what I was seeing was due to the large number of reparse points (in my case, symlinks) in the VMs being backed up. Here's their response:

I looked over your restore logs, and it looks like we can do about 133 reparse points per second. This should be more than adequate for the vast majority of systems, but **********10, **********11, and **********12 have 16,288,902 (volume 2), 10,600,456 (volume 2), and 427,418 (volume 1) reparse points respectively.

Going based on the averages I calculated from your successful restore jobs, it should take about:

34 hours to handle the 16,288,902 reparse points for **********10's Volume2,
22 hours to handle the 10,600,456 reparse points for **********11's Volume2, and
54 minutes to handle the 472,418 reparse points for **********12's Volume 1.

By contrast, **********P1's Volume1's 395 reparse points take 3 seconds to process. Putting more RAM and/or processing cores on the Veeam server could help, potentially, as could giving it access to faster backup storage or closer proximity to the repository (if any of these are applicable to your environment).

To pose a question to any Veeam Dev's on the forum, would it be possible to process the reparse points on a folder per folder basis when file systems have more than a certain amount (say 10,000 or more)? When I ran the FLR job for these VMs, it wasn’t apparent to me what was going on, and whether the job was hung or not. At the very least, processing reparse points for a folder’s contents (not recursively for subfolders, only for that folder) when it is accessed could reduce confusion in these situations and help the end user out.

I was able to use the "Other OS FLR" job and get the VM mounted on a Hyper-V host to restore files with less of a headache, but I’d much rather get the volumes mounted locally as with the Windows FLR job than to set up the VM in a remote Hyper-V server.
danielch
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Our QA team is still trying to reproduce OP's issue, so far with no results, unfortunately. If you could provide your case ID, I could also escalate this internally.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby danielch » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 pm 1 person likes this post

Sure, it's Case # 01016949.
danielch
Influencer

Liked: 2 times

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere