FLR Single database Exchange

VMware specific discussions

FLR Single database Exchange

Veeam Logoby larry » Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Veeam V9
I have a backup of an exchange disk 0:3. This disk has one exchange database and log. When I try and do a FLR it reports bad log file. If I backup the whole server FRL of this database it works. To use FLR on exchange on a single database backup is there something else I need? When the FLR starts I can browse to the mount and see the files.
larry
Expert

Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Re: FLR Single database Exchange

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri May 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Have you added the database to Veeam Explorer Scope?
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I guess Larry is talking about FLR, not Exchange items restore. I would expect issues with restore to original location in case system disk is excluded from the job, however, your case looks a bit different. Have you contacted support already?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby larry » Fri May 06, 2016 5:21 pm

I am talking about Exchange explorer. If I backup just the exchange c: along with the the drive with the one database I want, I can use the Exchange explorer and grab a mail item. If I skip the C: I can't use the explorer. I can see the database is in the backup just cant connect to it as I get the corrupt log error.
larry
Expert

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri May 06, 2016 7:30 pm

I believe VEX heuristics of transaction log file selection requires registry access.
Are you sure you are selecting the correct log folder manually?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby larry » Fri May 06, 2016 8:56 pm

I even copy the name from the FLR that works when I include the C: drive. I have no DBs on the c drive so this isn't a huge issue. We have one database that has a different retention requirements, I placed it on its own drive to allow Veeam to easily backup just that database. I tested restoring the whole drive to the Exchange server in the lab and the backups are good just FLR is bad. I have not had the time to really look at but next week I hope to. With FLR I never needed to restore the whole db, I grab the needed email and am done. Is the standalone FLR for exchange the same as using from the full GUI?
larry
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue May 10, 2016 12:42 pm

In standalone mode VEX cannot get logs location from the backup, so you need to specify it explicitly. I'd suggest to involve support.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere