Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

FLR temporary appliance broken?

Post by danswartz »

Before I open a case, I'd like a sanity check. I messed up and rebuilt a VM several weeks ago before realizing I'd forgotten to save some stuff. I had a veeam zip of the VM, so I went to deploy an appliance. It sat there with the little icon telling me it was waiting for the appliance. Go to vcenter and pull up a remote console for it, and I see a console message about being unable to obtain a DHCP lease.

When trying to initialize the network, it complains that 'uhdhcpc: option -h NAME is deprecated, use -x hostname:NAME', several 'sending discover' messages, followed by 'no lease, failing'. And yes, my DHCP server works. I'm not blocked, since I discovered I can use my recently deployed linux proxy VMs as FLR appliances. I'd like to post a screenshot of the console of the failing VM, but I'm not sure how to.
danswartz
Veteran

Re: FLR temporary appliance broken?

Post by danswartz »

Data points:

Veeam B&R 11.0.1.1261
Vsphere 6.7
VCSA 7.0.3.00300
DHCP Windows Server 2019

I spun up a debian 9.5 VM on a netinstall ISO, and it installed fine, and was accessible via ssh afterward, so I don't think there's anything wrong on my end.

Just to be 100% clear here: I do not have an issue preventing me from doing anything - I'm providing the above info to help your devs figure out whatever is wrong.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Can you try to configure manually an IP address and try as well to ping it when it is up?
Maybe you have selected wrong network/vlan for the interface of the OtherOS FLR appliance?

I has as well the situation where the appliance worked correctly at first try and then it did not work the second time. After a day it worked again.
If you have this situation, then please speak with your network admin as the Switches ARP cache settings are not configured well. Usually this is only a problem when you use DHCP. With fixed IPs in the appliance we can "force" the ARP cache renewal.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

I checked 3 times. When FLR is active (in failed state, I mean), the VM is connected to the 'VM Network'. This is a home lab - I am the network admin :) Also, like I said, everything else using DHCP as VMs is working fine, including the debian guest I spun up. Only failure is this guy (and I tried it 3 times.) I will try a manual IP just to see what happens though.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Well, that was interesting. I have 3 esxi hosts, 10.0.0.41, 10.0.0.42 and 10.0.0.43. I default to the 1st since it's the biggest (dual-socket). I tried 10.0.0.42, and... it worked! I then reset the settings to 10.0.0.41, and that worked as well, so something obviously got corrupted. Oh well, never mind :)