Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

force traffic over backup LAN with SMB share / gateway server

Post by lowlander »

Is it possible to force backup traffic over a seperate VLAN when using a SMB share as repository via a gateway server ?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: force traffic over backup LAN with SMB share / gateway server

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I think it is possible as long as you have routing between VLANs where a gateway server and SMB share are located. This configuration is transparent for Veeam and must be done at the level of network equipment. You may refer to this article with a couple of examples of VLAN routing.

Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander »

Understandable, just to explain a little bit further :

So the idea is :

Security VLAN 10
Backup VLAN 20

VBR >---< SMB repository >---< Gateway server >----< CIFS share

The VBR server is in a secure management VLAN 10

We want the backup traffic from VMware flow from ESXi >---< proxy >---< SMB repository

I think it is possible to create a secondary VLAN ( VLAN 20 ) on ESXi for backup purposes. Use this VLAN on the proxy server as a second network adapter, and make use of hostfiles.

For the SMB share I need to present this share via the Backup VLAN 20, with keeping in mind that the VBR server ( that is only in VLAN10 ) must be able to find its route to VLAN 20, while the gateway server is in VLAN10 as a primary NIC and is using VLAN 20 as a secondary NIC without gateway ;).

After that I would expect that backup traffic is directly transported over VLAN 20 ?

Reason I ask is the caption 2 in the helpcenter : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
The rule does not apply to traffic between the gateway server and backup repository. For the list of backup repositories with which the gateway server communicates, see Gateway Server.

Bottomline, I don't want the routing device to be the bottleneck in the traffic flow for backup purposes.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

I would think you can use host files but also using static routes as well should help do the trick. When you add the second network adapter to the Proxy it will need to know how to route traffic as it will not have a GW assigned since you can only have one within Windows.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I don't see any problems with this setup: you apply the preferred network option to route backup traffic from a proxy server to a gateway server over VLAN 20. The gateway server writes data to a share which is available only over VLAN 20. As a result, the data flow will stay within a dedicated backup network.

Thanks!