Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aaloneftis
Influencer
Liked: never

Gateway Server

Post by aaloneftis »

Hi all

I am a newbie to this software and this is my first post. I have a ESXi 6.7 host and created a Windows 2019 server on ESXi with Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5u4. On the same network as ESXi, I have a Synology DS1618+ NAS as the backup storage unit with a volume configured to host the backups. This folder is accessible from the B&R server. I am still on testing before going live and created a few jobs. These jobs sometimes fail and sometimes work. When they fail the message is like the below.

Error: An unexpected network error occurred. Failed to read data from the file [\\RMFS\VMBACKUPS\RM\RMD2020-04-16T200032_D271.vbk]. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{33acca47-8e3b-43c5-bdae-7f48f8310828}]. CHMOD mask: [-1]. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.

I don't understand what the error is saying and I can't explain why a job sometimes works and the next day it fails without any change anywhere. However, I contacted support and they pointed me to the need of a gateway server. Indeed I didn't know that and the documentation is clear of such a requirement. So I seek your assistance in setting one up. I couldn't find what am I supposed to install on this Gateway server. Since I just installed another VM hosting Veeam ONE on the ESXi host, I was also wondering whether that server can play the role of the Gateway Server.

Many thanks to all.

Alexis
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Gateway Server

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Alexis and Welcome to the Community Forums!

Gateway Server is indeed required for NAS repository as NAS share cannot host Data Mover Service, which is responsible for backup data transfer. However, you can't get away with no Gateway (what a wordplay) configured in New Backup Repository Wizard when adding NAS share as a repo. There is simply no option to choose none. As for your case, if no other proxies/gateways deployed, Backup Server is chosen as one automatically.

So, it doesn't explain why sometimes jobs fail and sometimes they don't.
I would rather say that DNS resolution issues might take place. Take a look at this post.

Best regards,
Oleg
aaloneftis
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Gateway Server

Post by aaloneftis »

Thank you Oleg. I believe that the NAS device is resolvable as there is a DNS entry but let me double check and I will come back to you.