Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
odurasler
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Jimenez

GIP and Guest File System Indexing

Post by odurasler »

I have a backup job where i manually selected multiple proxies. In this job, i have file system indexing enabled. However, when the job runs (using hot-add), it only defers to just one proxy for all of the hot-adds (there are about 5 VMDKs). Is this by design when enabling guest file system indexing?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GIP and Guest File System Indexing

Post by foggy »

Hi Joel, proxy selection doesn't depend on whether guest file system indexing is enabled or not, it mostly depends on what transport modes the selected proxies are capable of. Are you sure more than one proxy is able to hotadd disks?

P.S. To avoid possible confusion, since I'm seeing "GIP" in the post subject - backup proxy and guest interaction proxy are different components within Veeam B&R.
odurasler
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Jimenez

Post by odurasler »

sorry for confusion.

yes, customer has over 20 virtual proxies. after reviewing the vmware datastore, customer is using vvols. inside the vvols are several proxies.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Joel,

It's still not clear what exactly is happening. Would you provide answers to the following questions, please?

1. Without guest indexing switched on, you see Veeam utilizing different backup proxies. However, if you enable indexing on the job, you see that only one (always the same) backup proxy is utilized. Is that statement correct?

2. Do any of those VMs in the job that you are referring to in your original post reside on VVOL? If yes, then is it the same VVOL where the proxy that is used reside?

Thanks!