Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Scott

Going from separate VM backups to Datastore backups.

Post by tscott »

So I originally setup Veeam to have a separate backup job for each VM.. So it would be like this:

VM1_BackupJob
VM2_BackupJob
VM3_BackupJob
Etc..

Then I would just chain the jobs.. After watching a Veeam webinar the host said it's best to actually backup on a datastore level for numerous reasons.. One was so you don't forget to add separate VMs to jobs and the other, which was more important to me, was you get better dedup and compression..

So I ended up disabling all my separate backup jobs and creating a datastore backup job.. It did finish faster and got better compression.. Now to the question..

When I go onto my NAS to view the files.. It shows all my single backup jobs in their own folder and then it shows my datastore backup in it's own folder.. So are all my backups before I went to the datastore backup safe to delete? I'm guessing it didn't continue to increment off of those files?

Hope that makes sense..

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Going from separate VM backups to Datastore backups.

Post by foggy »

Tom, your new job has created a separate backup, which does not rely on the previous backup files. You can safely delete them if you do not need some additional restore points. Or you can just let the new job to run for a couple of days/weeks and then remove these old backups after meeting the required retention.
tscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Scott

Re: Going from separate VM backups to Datastore backups.

Post by tscott »

That's what I thought.. Thanks..

One thing that stinks about that is playing around with jobs trying to get the best balance.. If I create yet another Job with different settings I'll have the same issue..