Guest File System Indexing

VMware specific discussions

Guest File System Indexing

Veeam Logoby dsimpkins » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:47 am

I've done some searching on these forums and Google but can't find quite the answer im looking for, only related info.
I've also looked at the online manual, but again, can't quite get my hands on the answers I'm after

What exactly does the Guest File System Indexing do? The menu tells me it "creates catalog of guest files to enable browsing, searching and 1-click restore of individual files"... okay, that sounds handy. But then it continues "indexing is optional and not required to restore instant file level recoveries". Could someone confirm what exactly the advantage is here - is it purely a speed thing? is it a case of if i want to restore a file and i know the name but don't know the location then i can search (as opposed to having to know it's location for the 'non-indexed' file-level recovery)?

The second part to my question is regarding the folder size. Again, no one has quite answered this question - but apologies if i missed it: if i want to reduce the amount of space my VRBCatalog folder is consuming, can i simply delete the older index folders? here's an example: FileServer01 backs up once a day, and there's a 30 day retention period (or 30 increments) but I've got 90 of these index folders. I'm only interested in the indexes of the backups i have, can i simply delete the folders of the oldest indexes? or is there a 'proper' way of removing these, whilst retaining the functionality of the guest file system indexing?

thanks for your help, sorry if something obvious has been missed on my part.

Daniel
dsimpkins
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel

Re: Guest File System Indexing

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:21 am

dsimpkins wrote:is it a case of if i want to restore a file and i know the name but don't know the location then i can search (as opposed to having to know it's location for the 'non-indexed' file-level recovery)?

Yes, that's correct. Indexing is not required, if I know that file location and can find the required restore points yourself.
dsimpkins wrote: but apologies if i missed it: if i want to reduce the amount of space my VRBCatalog folder is consuming, can i simply delete the older index folders?

I guess you can do that, but you can also enable compression on the volume hosting your VBRCatalog data to use less disk space.

See these topics for further reading: cleaning up vbrcatalog folder and VBRCatalog folder growing in size
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby dsimpkins » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks for that, i read the second one of your links already, which didn't really answer my question: is it ok or SAFE to manually delete the older indexes, ie, are the newer indexes tied to the older ones, and if i delete them will something break? your answer of "i guess so" seems to indicate it's not safe?!

In the mean time, i've changed the retention period to 1 month (instead of 3) as per the first of your links, and added 10GB to that volume to be safe.

thanks
dsimpkins
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:51 am

As far as I know, you can manually delete index files you don’t need any longer without any consequences to newer ones.

Nevertheless, if you’re still concerned with problem of older index files being tied to newer ones, you might want to just move your obsolete files to new location and see what happens when you try to use "Search" functionality in Enterprise Manager.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:31 am

Yes, it is safe to delete these files manually.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] : Cleaning up VBRCatalog

Veeam Logoby sergeadam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 pm

I have my retention period set to 30 days in Enterprise manager. My VBRCatalog folder is over 250GB. Under the index/machine folders, each machine has nearly 175 forlders.

How do I clean this up to retain only 30 days of catalog?
sergeadam
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Serge Adam

Re: [MERGED] : Cleaning up VBRCatalog

Veeam Logoby dsimpkins » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:44 pm

sergeadam wrote:I have my retention period set to 30 days in Enterprise manager. My VBRCatalog folder is over 250GB. Under the index/machine folders, each machine has nearly 175 forlders.

How do I clean this up to retain only 30 days of catalog?

This is kinda what i was trying to ask,

Vitaliy S. wrote: Yes, it is safe to delete these files manually.

seems this is the answer..?
dsimpkins
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 am

seems this is the answer..?

Yep, you’re right.

But as I’ve said previously, if you’re a little bit anxious about potential consequences of such decision you might want to temporarily move unneeded catalog-files to another location before final deletion and test “Search” functionality to see whether it works smoothly or not.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby sergeadam » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 pm

The dates on the files and folders are all over the place. There does not seem to be an easy way to identify which are used and which are not.
sergeadam
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby dsimpkins » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:17 am

sergeadam wrote:The dates on the files and folders are all over the place. There does not seem to be an easy way to identify which are used and which are not.

but the creation/modified dates within Windows Explorer would be accurate, yeah?
dsimpkins
Influencer

Veeam Logoby sergeadam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm

No they're not. Unless I'm missing a major piece of the puzzle. If I have guest file indexing off for my jobs, can I remove all the data in the VBRCatalog/index folder?
sergeadam
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Yes, unless you need search & 1-click restore functionality in Enterprise Manager.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby sergeadam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:52 pm

If I delete that folder, will it rebuild as needed? Just looking at getting a clean copy.
sergeadam
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 pm

If you enable gust file system indexing on a job, index data will be generated during the following job runs and placed into that folder.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] : Veam VBRCatalog\Journal Folder growing

Veeam Logoby jburkegb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 am

I have an issue with our veam server, the folder VBRCatalog\Journal is growing on a daily basis, it is currently at 60gb I have set the retention period on Enterprise manager for guest file catalog to 1 month this fixed the issue with the index's and event history was set to 3 months. guest file indexing has been disabled on all servers apart from 1 job that includes our file servers. But the journal folder just keeps growing. Is it safe to delete any of these files?
What is creating the files and how can this be limited to the amount of space/time to save the files?

We are running Veeam backup and Replication 6.5.0.128, Enterprise Manager 6.5.109

Any help or advice would be appreciated
jburkegb
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Burke

Next

Return to VMware vSphere