Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
importantchicken562
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Vigil

having issues upgrading veeam from 9.0 to 9.5

Post by importantchicken562 »

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but before i call veeam support thought i'd ask here.

i just started working at this company and i am upgrading all of our veeam servers to the latest version. already upgraded 5 of the 6 but the last one is giving me issues. so for the 5 of the 6 i upgraded, they were set up to use the built-in sql express instance. had no issues upgrading.

the last server, which i'm guessing is the first veeam server that was deployed, was deployed using the full install of sql. if i try to run an upgrade, i get to the part where i am prompted to enter my SA credentials to connect to the veeam sql instance. i have no idea what the sa password is since it wasn't documented anywhere. i was planning on resetting the password using some articles i found online which involve using a command prompt to do it however i don't want to screw something up in the process and be forced to recreate the backup jobs as this particular server is backing up 20 VMs.

anyone have any ideas on what to try? i already tried using 'windows authentication' in the upgrade wizard but it won't accept my credentials. also if i log into SQL, i can log into the instance using my windows account but i only have read rights which prevents me from resetting the SA password.

thanks
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: having issues upgrading veeam from 9.0 to 9.5

Post by wishr »

Hi Mark,

Could you please try supplying an account with these SQL privileges?

Thanks
importantchicken562
Influencer

Post by importantchicken562 »

Hi,

I don't have an account with sysadmin priveledges. That's the whole issue. The only account on the server with sysadmin credentials is the SQL SA account and I don't know the password.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

If you don't have full access to the SQL server and no idea what the credentials are, you may be better off deploying a new SQL instance (could be Express if this particular environment is small enough), doing a fresh install of VBR, and then restore a Veeam config backup. This should work as long as the original server was running 9.0 Update 2.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

If not, install the same 9.0 build as what you're running, do the config restore, and then finally do the 9.5 upgrade.

Joe
importantchicken562
Influencer

Post by importantchicken562 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Joe that's the route ill take.