Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Hot-add limit

Post by lobo519 »

I read in another post on here there is a 1TB limit on hot-add. Does anyone know if that is still the case in vSphere 5?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Hot-add limit

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I do not see this issue mentioned in the release notes of new vStorage API (VDDK 5), so it looks like this issue has been resolved.
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by rawtaz »

Vitaliy S. wrote:I do not see this issue mentioned in the release notes of new vStorage API (VDDK 5), so it looks like this issue has been resolved.
This limitation is still referenced in http://www.veeam.com/kb_articles.html/KB1054, which is referenced in the B&R 6.1 Release Notes.

Can you or someone else from Veeam clarify this once and for all, so we know for sure what the situation is?
- I.e, is there a limit of 1TB for HotAdd to work or not (in B&R 6.0 and up)?
- If yes, is the rule that a VMDK may not *exceed* 1TB in size, or is it that it *must be below* 1TB in size?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The article you referenced says it is only applicable to Veeam version 4.x and 5.x... version 6.0 and above use more recent VDDK version which do not appear to have this issue, as Vitaly explained.
rawtaz
Expert

Post by rawtaz »

So the 6.x release notes still reference this KB article simply because some of the other points are still valid, just not the HotAdd one?

My point is that if the KB article does not *at all* apply to version 6 (which you seem to say, as it only applies to version 4 and 5), then naturally the release notes for version 6 would not reference it, since there would be nothing in there to reference.
But the release notes for version 6 *are* referencing it, so either the KB article is in error, or the release notes should not reference it. Or I'm terribly illogical in my thinking that they contradict each other.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, I guess it was simply overlooked and left intact from the previous version of the release notes. There are a few points in the article which are no longer valid. For example, the block size one is also not applicable to vSphere 5.
rawtaz
Expert

Post by rawtaz »

Cool man. Thanks for clearing it up! :D
rfn
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: René Frej Nielsen

Post by rfn »

Hi,

Can you confirm that there NOT a 1 TB VMDK limit with Hot Add when running vSphere 5 and VBR 6?

I have a hot add issue and your support claims that hot add still doesn't work with VMDK's larger than 1 TB. Ticket ID 5208439.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Rene,

Can you please give us a bit more details about your 1 TB virtual disk, so we could reproduce this scenario in our labs? Is it thin or thick? If it is thin, then what is the actual space consumed by this disk?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Our QC team has just confirmed that 1 TB virtual disk limit is no longer observed with vSphere 5.0 and Veeam B&R 6.1