Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kbergros
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kenneth Bergholm

Hot add not supported by source disk

Post by kbergros »

Hi....

We had have problems with our vcenter server but it is solved now after we upgraded to latest Vcenter 5.5 patches.
After that I have runned some backupjobs manually no warnings and it goes succesfully, we are running veeam B&R 8.0 (8.0.0.817) is this version supporting latest vcenter 5.5 version?

The thing i'm wondering about is when the job goes it writes out the folloiwing:

Hot add is not supported for source disk, failing over the network mode (green check)
using backup proxy ipadress for harddisk1 [hot add] (green check)

And then the job completes successfully, is this OK, can I activate the scheduled backups?

Support case[ID# 01247794] Hot add not supported by source disk
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Hot add not supported by source disk

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Kenneth,
There are several requirements for disks in the Virtual Appliance mode, such as:
Backup and restore of IDE disks in the Virtual Appliance mode is not supported.
Backup and restore of SATA disks in the Virtual Appliance mode is supported if you use VMware vSphere 6.0 and later.

So the behavior of failing over to Network mode is expected. This backups are fully restorable.
Thanks!
kbergros
Influencer

Post by kbergros »

Thank you for your answer, the thing is that I didnt see this before that network mode was used, it just spelled out adding backup proxy for hot add and carried on...
But all backups goes well, so it should be OK...
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Indeed Direct SAN and Hot-Add modes are more preferable and VBR checks if these modes can be used, if not, it switches to the basic network mode. You can check which proxy was used in the Action pane.
kbergros
Influencer

Post by kbergros » 2 people like this post

Hi....

Did get in contact with support today, the adviced me to upgrade to Veeam 8 update 3 which I did, after that upgrade the hot add (application mode) workes again and i see that the proxy mounts the disk and also dismounts them when the backup is finished and it is not writing out "Hot add is not supported for source disk, failing over the network mode " it goes directly to backupproxy [hot add]