Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ajithcsankar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ajith Sankar

Hotadd Backups Data Flow

Post by ajithcsankar »

Hi Experts, I would like to know the actual data flow during the hotadd vm snapshot backups.

I understood from the documents that during the hotadd backups, the VM disks are directly mounted to the virtual proxy server and read the data. How does the data flow once the proxy got the disks? We are using ExaGrid appliance as the repository that is directly connected to the VBR. Also, the virtual proxy has the access to the Exagrid. My doubt is during the hotadd backups, data comes to VBR and then passes it to Exagrid or the data directly travels from the virtual proxy to Exagrid.

The reason i asked is our VBR is sitting behind the firewall(different subnet) and the rest all components (VCenter/ESXi/Virtual Proxy/Exagrid) are located on the same subnet.

If the data is flowing to VBR and then Exagrid, it will impact the backup throughput. But if it is directly from proxy to ExaGrid, it would be very faster.

Please Clarify.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Hotadd Backups Data Flow

Post by Mildur »

Hello Ajith

Welcome to the forum.
Backup traffic will flow directly from Proxy to the ExaGrid appliance if you have added the appliance as an ExaGrid repository on your backup server.

When the backup job is running, veeam deploys a data mover on the ExaGrid appliance. The Hotadd Proxy mounts the source vm disks and reads the data. The data mover on the proxy then connects to the data mover on the ExaGrid appliance and transfers the new backup data.

You find the explanation and requirements here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... astructure

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ajithcsankar
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ajith Sankar

Re: Hotadd Backups Data Flow

Post by ajithcsankar »

Thank You so much for the clarification Fabian.