Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

How are backup credentials selected

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi,

I was playing around in my lab with "file to tape" jobs and I'm just curious about how credentials are selected. I had a share on a NAS device with share permissions for a specific AD user. I had added these credentials to the Veeam credential database previously. When setting up the job, I entered the UNC path to the share and in the "select file or folder" dialog and clicked OK. I wasn't prompted to select any particular credentials but the job creation was succesful and the job ran fine. So my question is, if you are setting up a job like this, is the Veeam credentials database scanned for a credential that works? And do you only get a prompt to provide credentials if a suitable entry is not found in the database?

Many thanks,
Neil.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How are backup credentials selected

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Neil.

When you select a managed server as a source for file to tape job it must have some credentials added to the console (otherwise this server would not appear in Veeam B&R console as managed server). Makes sense?
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Re: How are backup credentials selected

Post by neilmurphy65 » 1 person likes this post

I worked it out. Because I was recreating a job that I had already run and then deleted, Veeam selected the same credentials again since they were mapped to the UNC path in the credentials database.