How are backup credentials selected

Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor

How are backup credentials selected

Veeam Logoby neilmurphy65 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi,

I was playing around in my lab with "file to tape" jobs and I'm just curious about how credentials are selected. I had a share on a NAS device with share permissions for a specific AD user. I had added these credentials to the Veeam credential database previously. When setting up the job, I entered the UNC path to the share and in the "select file or folder" dialog and clicked OK. I wasn't prompted to select any particular credentials but the job creation was succesful and the job ran fine. So my question is, if you are setting up a job like this, is the Veeam credentials database scanned for a credential that works? And do you only get a prompt to provide credentials if a suitable entry is not found in the database?

Many thanks,
Neil.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Re: How are backup credentials selected

Veeam Logoby Dima P. » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Hello Neil.

When you select a managed server as a source for file to tape job it must have some credentials added to the console (otherwise this server would not appear in Veeam B&R console as managed server). Makes sense?
Dima P.
Veeam Software

Liked: 590 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How are backup credentials selected

Veeam Logoby neilmurphy65 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:47 pm 1 person likes this post

I worked it out. Because I was recreating a job that I had already run and then deleted, Veeam selected the same credentials again since they were mapped to the UNC path in the credentials database.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Return to VMware vSphere