Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1415 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How do I get Veeam to overwrite old backups?

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 30, 2013 3:42 pm

ColtsFanMN wrote:This is not a 'custom scenario' unless you are counting every use of the Veeam software as a 'custom scenario'...

I am not trying to be rude, but this is not rocket science, people.
I was just trying to help, so you could automate everything without scripts. Not sure why you still have only 1 restore point available in the backup console, as retention policy should keep 20 of them, assuming you had new job runs.

In addition to what have Tom said, you can use Task Manager to start your Veeam backup job via PowerShell right after the script above does its job.

ColtsFanMN
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by ColtsFanMN » Oct 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks tsightler, that script works great. I tested it using files of different dates and it works like a charm. The problem I had with running a script was the possibility of deleting a previous day's backup if no one had a chance to change it out before the next day ran, so this is great.

I appreciate it very much.

Vitaliy S, I appreciate your willingness to help also. And like I said, it should not be so hard to do.. but clearly the software doesn't make it easy. I meant what I said about not wanting to be rude, just get very frustrated when something so simple turns into a major task, so nothing personal is intended.

I hope Veeam updates their software to make simple situations like this easier for sure. I mean, only one backup job, one repository, switch cartridges once each day.. let's face it.. this is not a complex or custom scenario... it doesn't get much simpler than that!

Have a pleasant day all, and thanks! :D

ColtsFanMN

CCFCIT
Lurker
Full Name: Campbell County KY Fiscal Court IT

[MERGED] Veeam not cleanning out old backups.

Post by CCFCIT » Apr 25, 2014 2:40 pm

We have Veeam handling 4 VM ESXi 5.5u1 hosts, the backup target is a set of 4 Buffalo 4tb NAS drives which are each one rotated out weekly. The backups job is set for daily incremental backups with a full backup every Friday. The retention policy is set to keep 14 restore points on disk.

The theory here is that each drive has a 1 week set of backups from this month and 1 seek from last month. However Veeam does not seem to remove older backups, which has caused the backup job to fail till we manually clean it out.
Is this by design or is there a setting we are missing?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Apr 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Veeam backup server will remove files at the end of the backup job. Do you use forward incremental backup mode? If yes, then retention policy should be applied at the end of the 3rd week and you should have 1st device inserted to remove files automatically. When you insert the 4th device, Veeam backup server cannot find files located on the first drive and assumes that these files are already deleted. Please review this topic for additional information on this.

CCFCIT
Lurker
Full Name: Campbell County KY Fiscal Court IT

Post by CCFCIT » Apr 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Vitaliy S. wrote:Veeam backup server will remove files at the end of the backup job. Do you use forward incremental backup mode? If yes, then retention policy should be applied at the end of the 3rd week and you should have 1st device inserted to remove files automatically. When you insert the 4th device, Veeam backup server cannot find files located on the first drive and assumes that these files are already deleted. Please review this topic for additional information on this.
We are currently set up for Incremental (non-reverse, non-synthetic full) with an active full backup on Saturday Is there any way to have it take into account the rotation of the drives? (like setting it to keep 56 recovery points?)

Edit: for the files to be there when the system goes to remove them, the retention would have to be set to 77. This would keep 3 sets of backups on the drive until Friday of the 3rd month and then it would be able to clean them off as the file are there, unless we miss the drive swap at some time. am I correct in thinking it works this way?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Apr 27, 2014 5:44 pm

CCFCIT wrote:Is there any way to have it take into account the rotation of the drives? (like setting it to keep 56 recovery points?)
With extending retention policy setting and not mixing drives, meaning that on the 5th week you should insert the 1st drive, then I believe it should work.
CCFCIT wrote:for the files to be there when the system goes to remove them, the retention would have to be set to 77. This would keep 3 sets of backups on the drive until Friday of the 3rd month and then it would be able to clean them off as the file are there, unless we miss the drive swap at some time. am I correct in thinking it works this way?
Yes, you cannot miss the swap drive, however there is no need to keep 77 restore points if you need just 2 weeks and have 4 drives. On every drive you will have 7 backup files, it means that you will have 7 * 4 = 28 restore points in total. In order to remove the 1st backup chain on the first drive you should set 22 as your retention policy.

This will lead to the following behavior:

1st drive: 1f + 6i
2nd drive: 1f + 6i
3rd drive: 1f + 6i
4th drive 1f + 6i

When you insert the 1st drive, Veeam backup server will create new full and then remove 1f + 6i files.

P.S. btw, it has almost slipped my mind, but the easiest way would be to use our latest patch and these reg keys to cleanup all the files > v7 Backup Copy Job removable media (rotated drives)