Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vpock
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dominic Paquin

How do you case leverage Veeam to replicate your View setup

Post by vpock »

Hey guys,

I was wondering how the rest of the Veeam community did leverage VB&R for backup and replication of Vmware Horizon View.

Right now, for all my customer, I create a separate View Composer/Connection Server/Security Server at the DR site. VMware does not support (At least in 5.x) multi-site View environments. I use Veeam strictly to copy the "templates" to the DR site, and recompose from there.

I obviously backup all the Composer/Connections/Security servers using Veeam.

Any of you doing things differently?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: How do you case leverage Veeam to replicate your View se

Post by dellock6 »

Before joining Veeam I designed a couple of large VDI environment (View/Horizon 5.1 at that time), and we only took care of management VMs (vCenter, Composer, Connection...) and the source VMs. Also, we always used floating pools and non persistent VMs, so the only other VM to take care of was the file server holding all roaming profiles.
I've never seen other way to do this, unless there are some dedicated VMs involved. but those are not usually linked clones, and as such they can be protected as regular "server" VMs.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
DavoudTeimouri
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Davoud Teimouri

[MERGED] Best practices for backup linked-clone with persist

Post by DavoudTeimouri »

Hi all,
I'm going to prepare a plan for our VDI backup. I know, Veeam BR doesn't support independent disks and can't create backup from the disks.
Is there any other solution to take backup from the persistent disks? Can we deploy linked-clone without independent disks?
Best Regards
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

[MERGED] : A strategy to replicate Linked Clones

Post by unsichtbarre »

I need to be able to replicate VMware Horizon View Linked Clones, or at least the user disk where the profile is supposed to reside?

THX,

-J
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, John,

Take a look at some considerations provided above; might be helpful.

Thanks.
fll
Enthusiast
Liked: never

[MERGED] Backup of a pool linked clone with persistent disks

Post by fll »

Hello, is there any way to backup Veeam from a pool linked clone of Horizon View with persistent disks?

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup of a pool linked clone with persistent disks

Post by DGrinev »

Hello,

Please read this existing discussion above, it should be helpful. Thanks!
sixarm
Enthusiast
Full Name: David Roberts

[MERGED] Replication of Horizon View Template VMs

Post by sixarm »

Hi there,

What's the best way to replicate my Horizon View Template VMs from Production to DR using Veeam B&R?

A little background, I have a Horizon View pod at production which is using non-persistent Linked Clone desktops for our users. These desktops are based off two template VMs. When I say template, they aren't actually VMware Templates at all, they are just standard Virtual Machines which are updated, have a snapshot taken, and then rolled out to the Linked Clones via Horizon. These are often to referred to as Golden Images.

At the the DR end I have a second Horizon View pod, which I need to be able to see the template replicated from production to then roll out to a load of desktops at DR that will sit there unused only to come live if I need to invoke DR.

The "Golden Image" VMs are generally left powered off as they don't need to take up any compute resource.

I set up a replication job in B&R so the VMs are replicated to DR, however because they are powered off the first time I ran the job it finished within minutes and didn't actually transfer any data, although it did create the VMs at the DR end. When you look at the raw VM files, the VMDKs are tiny, not the 35GB you'd expect. I then powered one of the VMs on and re-ran the job and it replicated data over.

Q1: Will replication only work with powered on VMs?

Q2: How are other users handling these types of VMs when replicating to a DR site for a 2nd Horizon deployment?

Thanks in advance.
sixarm
Enthusiast
Full Name: David Roberts

Post by sixarm »

Thanks for the merge. I did actually read this post prior to posting and it didn't fully answer the question.

Of course I want to copy my template VMs to my DR site, but what I still don't understand is the best way to achieve this within Veeam B&R?

I tried a VM Copy Job to a specific host, which gets the data over there, but there's still a manual process of having to register the VM to the host, change the virtual networking etc. Is there a better way?
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

[MERGED] Replicate Linked Clones with Persistent Disks

Post by homerjnick »

What is the recommended way to backup/replicate the Persistent Disks on a Linked Clone in Horizon View if you use Veeam as your backup solution?

Because as I understand it...you can't...independent disks cannot be backed up or replicated by Veeam.
DGrinev
Veteran

Re: Replicate Linked Clones with Persistent Disks

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Nick,

Please review this thread, it contains useful information. Thanks!
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Re: Replicate Linked Clones with Persistent Disks

Post by homerjnick »

I've read this thread...doesn't seem to answer the question though.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

I'll try to get useful information related to the Horizon View protection by Veeam and come back soon.
Meantime, you can review the old topic with the similar questions, if you didn't see it yet: Vmware view. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Unfortunately, we have no recommendations for protecting Horizon type environment, since we don't officially support it. Thanks!
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

[MERGED] False "stuck VM snapshot consolidation" errors

Post by ChuckS42 »

Backing up some VDI base images for Horizon. Three of them back up fine, but seem to think they have stuck shapshots that cannot be deleted. I have verified that their disks are not still attached to a proxy server, and they do in fact have snapshots, but they are not stuck or anything (none from Veeam). How do I convince Veeam that there's nothing wrong with these VMs?

This is a normal backup job, except that CBT is turned off (the image VMs are powered off).
Veeaming since 2013
DGrinev
Veteran

Re: False "stuck VM snapshot consolidation" errors

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Chuck,

Unfortunately, Veeam officially don't support the Horizon View protection, so I cannot give you advice on any issues related to this environment. Thanks!