Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

How to clear the Job History in Veeam B&R 7

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

Under Backup 6.5 i Clear the Job History from Powershell with the command :
Get-VBRBackupSession | %{$_.delete()}

BUT , it dosent work in Version 7 anymore :-(

Knows anyone the new command ?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: How to clear the Job History in Veeam B&R 7

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

You can reduce the amount of the sessions stored to a low value, and then it will prune the older records automatically, but you cannot remove the history completely. The ability to delete job history from PowerShell in version 6.5 was not intentional (bug). We do not allow deleting session history, as this prevents audit of the restore activities.

What is your use case for clearing the job history?

Thanks!
WinstonWolf
Veteran
Liked: 11 times

Post by WinstonWolf »

Hello ,

I have some bad configured jobs and therefore they failed .
I reconfigured the Jobs and the repositorys and i want to delete the Backup logs after this .

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Why do you really need to delete them? Just let them go away with retention. While I understand the desire to "clean things up", please consider other use cases as well.

The reason why we don't provide this functionality is compliance. Ability to delete the history of user activity within the data management system makes the systems non-complaint with the related compliance requirements, policies and laws in most developed countries. Which, in turn, makes the product unusable for every customer who is the subject to those. Because now, anyone can restore a sensitive file from a file server backup, and immediately hide this activity.

Reading back through this page, we never had this capability in the user interface, and had purposely disabled the "workaround" that was unintentionally introduced as a part of our PowerShell API development. Obviously, we would not have disabled a feature that is already implemented and works fine without really serious reasons... we are not enemies to ourselves ;)
burtos
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] backup job history location within sql.

Post by burtos »

Hi

Can anyone point me to the location within the sql database as to where the backup job history is located as i need to remove the entries within there.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Generally, we neither support manual history cleanup nor manual interference with Veeam B&R database. Could you please elaborate on why do you need to remove them?